Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

alanwilson

Re: Looking after staff
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:21 pm »
Wouldnt clean windows properly, and wouldnt put the hours in, wouldnt listen, work sheet wouldnt add up.

any wonder you sacked him!

I have to say we've been really lucky with our guys - good timekeepers, work well, polite to customers, good fun to work with too.

I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 10:38:49 pm »
Alan

If any move to Cornwall, send them my way.

I have never had any look with employing, sometimes i wonder why i bother.

jonah

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 11:40:33 pm »
sometimes you can help employees but they just dont want to be helped but remember good staff are hard to come by so look after them

Have copied that from "fed up" thread yesterday!

In our experiences with staff whatever you do you will not be right. But to move forward they are a necessary evil ;D ;D

Correct - some do not want to be helped as they don't want to "help" themselves in the first place. Sus them out and get rid!

Correct - good staff are hard to find and yes look after them when you find them, but still you will not be right even if you are being more than fair :)

Just for example, a few weeks ago one individual mentioned that he needed to earn more money (don't we all!) he flung a figure of £40 per week in the air. It was mentioned in a conversation and as such we did not take it too seriously..... £40 x 52 weeks = £2080 per annum rise, the guy can't be serious!......surely??

Yesterday, quote " a few weeks ago I said about more money, but my wage slip has not gone up. when will it happen?" (quite snotty and serious too!)

Now this guy is good (most of the time), no problems with standards, timekeeping good, customers like him etc etc.
Along the way we have "looked after" him, hearing when he said he was skint and offering extra work (which most times he refused!) and hearing when he was tired cos his little one had been awake all night and helping out with his workload, things like that which we don't have to do, but feel that because he is good we should :)
We offered him the job 10 months ago at £20k+ per year, at the moment he is on target for closer to £24k. (as per this is money in January this year the average for a window cleaner is £14,399 before tax)
So as Eddie said in his thread we have been more than fair and yet the guy still is not happy. Why?

Because he thinks that the world owes him something!
Because he and his girlfriend chose the lifestyle to have a baby and for her to give up work aswell, but expected the tax credits to fully re-inburse her ex-wage. They didn't obviously!!!
She can drive, but chooses not to, so she will not get a part time evening job, which would help them out, but he fully expected us to just hand over an extra £40 per week, because he thinks they are owed it!

and before you all say xxxxxxxx UK workers......
This guy is Polish ;)

In our experiences with staff whatever you do you will not be right. But to move forward they are a necessary evil .                     Dont you think somone reading that would not exactly go over board to try to give you 100% ?

brett walker

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:23 pm »
Had someone work for me once said hed got a bad back i offered him a pay rise and his bad back mysteriously disapeared ::)

excuses, honestly i could write a book  ;D

had a phone call from a lad the other week who used to work for me 12yrs ago for a reference i gladly said yes, he was the best worker ive ever had

Brett

Helen

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 06:56:17 am »
a tell you what helen pay me 24k and the possible incentive to earn more il be out 7days a week  ;D

your start time was 6:30...ooh your late....sacked!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:47 am »
Quote from: jonah

Dont you think somone reading that would not exactly go over board to try to give you 100% ?
[quote

It's a figure of speech ;D

LSB

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:16 pm »
i wrote yesterday that i try to help staff where i can to help my business and them !

yesterday aft one of the boys wanted to leave half an hour early , no problem ( correctly assuming that i would still pay for the day ) ,   . . . . this morning same guy is moaning that we started 5 mins early today !!!!  normally a good guy , but yet again im left wondering why i bother .