Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pj

Sea salted windows
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:02:28 pm »
Well the pics don't show a lot, and the building is a bit bigger than it looks.

But the side windows face a constant wind off the sea.

I did them today, some using tfr first, others just scrub and rinse with wfp...
You can't really see the results but believe me the ones just wfp'd came up best/perfect.  Scrubbed and rinsed each pane 3 times job done

Pj

Re: Sea salted windows
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »
boring I know

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »
What a great job, lovely position as well.  From the look of your photographs, they've come up very well.

mark dew

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:30:01 pm »
pj you travel don't you. I thought you were from thetford?
Did you apply the tfr with a sprayer 1st and then wfp?
i did an inside yesterday and sprayed tfr on the windows and then wiped them dry. Came up a treat. I thought they would smear but were fine.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:32:14 pm »
I wouldn`t bother with TFR just because of salt,the only thing you need to move salt is plenty of water and a softish brush,i only use TFR for stubborn stains.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 06:32:38 pm »
Is that woman looking for spots?

Pj

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 06:37:34 pm »
pj you travel don't you. I thought you were from thetford?
Did you apply the tfr with a sprayer 1st and then wfp?
i did an inside yesterday and sprayed tfr on the windows and then wiped them dry. Came up a treat. I thought they would smear but were fine.

Yep I'll travel......tfr with sprayer.

I wouldn`t bother with TFR just because of salt,the only thing you need to move salt is plenty of water and a softish brush,i only use TFR for stubborn stains.

I only used it to prove a point, it wasn't any use at all ;)

Is that woman looking for spots?

No, pasty eating seagulls ;D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:39:20 pm »
What brush did you use? :)

Pj

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 06:42:53 pm »
The only one I'm happy with at the moment..............

Ionics

karlosdaze

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 06:45:38 pm »
You could have prescrubbed with GG4 & a porcupine - that would have saved on TFR & I swear by it for salty windows.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 06:48:34 pm »
You could have prescrubbed with GG4 & a porcupine - that would have saved on TFR & I swear by it for salty windows.
Makes no difference,you might aswell clean them more thoroughly with WFP with a higher flow rate.Hard work scrubbing all that lot with a scrubber on a pole first.

karlosdaze

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:34:06 pm »
Makes no difference,you might aswell clean them more thoroughly with WFP with a higher flow rate.Hard work scrubbing all that lot with a scrubber on a pole first.
It works for me! Once you have the dirt in suspension it comes off easily.

Mike 108

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:05:11 pm »
Pj - Nice job. Thanks for reporting back on the 'salty' windows issue.

I still can't understand why I had such a massive problem with them yesterday - I was really expecting all the water I was using to wash it away with ease.

I might try a different brush next time.

Thanks anyway.

Mike.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:34 pm »

Ionics

Ah, the new one? (No crinkle) Do you have a hot system or not?

dai

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 08:58:31 pm »
Pj - Nice job. Thanks for reporting back on the 'salty' windows issue.

I still can't understand why I had such a massive problem with them yesterday - I was really expecting all the water I was using to wash it away with ease.

I might try a different brush next time.

Thanks anyway.

Mike.
I think I know the answer, you said that the windows all sheeted nicely, and this could have been instrumental.

Pure water dissolves the salt instantly, and this dilution spreads. The actual sheet of water left on the glass is a lot thicker than you think, you can prove this by cleaning your van windscreen, you think you have a perfectly clear screen until you drive a few hundred yards without the wiper on, you will be amazed at how much water was actually still on the glass.

You can easily rinse too quick, if you bring the brush down quicker than the water runs down the glass, some water gets held up and as this still contains salt it will stay there.
If you watch carefully you will see that the water runs off at different speeds, it's as if the sheet is made of two skins of water, one runs off rapidly the other far more slowly. It's the slower moving sheet that holds a thin dilution of salt, when this dries, it looks like a light haze on the glass.
I scrub the glass, take the brush to the top of the frame, and sweep the water down to the bottom, repeat this until you have covered all the glass. Then you go back to the top of the frame and rinse slowly going from side to side, dropping your brush a few inches at a time with the brush on the glass.
It does take longer, but this is the method that works for me. Dai

NWH

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:07:27 pm »
The first part that you talked about with there being like 2 skins of water makes sense,you get that water holding on the glass trouble when you don`t use enough water.You should be able to do a window and look back in a few seconds and still see water sheeting down the glass especially on salty seaside window`s,the main problem you`ll get with salt covered windows is a wavy pattern which is dried water,the reason is not enough water used to flush the glass i think we all sometimes forget that it`s pure water that cleans the glass and at times we don`t use enough.

Mike 108

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:19:28 pm »
dai/NWH - Good thinking/advice - have taken it on board. Will use more water and be more methodical when rinsing, next time.

Thanks

Mike

Pj

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »

Ionics

Ah, the new one? (No crinkle) Do you have a hot system or not?

No hot.....................yet