Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david_claxton

Dog smell
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:54:40 pm »
Hello,

I have now cleaned twice some carpets in a flat to try and remove the odour of dog. Prespray gold first with clensan and then steam cleaned with carpet clean xl. It still stinks and I have suggested that the previous tenant's dog must have urinated etc etc quite a few times and this will have soaked through the carpet, into the backing/underlay and perhaps through to the floor boards.

I've never had something that lingers like this before.

What would be your suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

lands

Re: Dog smell
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:21 pm »
Dave, you need to find out if it has gone through because if so thats a whole new ball game. If you have used clensan (are pee stains visible?) and given a thorough application direct by spray and good dwell then you should have noticed a significant difference.

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 04:23:37 pm »
David,
Did you treat the problem area before or after you cleaned it ??

I would allways treat with urine / cleansan after cleaning otherwise you are just rinsing it away.

Paul

Paul

david_claxton

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:05:05 pm »
Thanks chaps,

I applied the prespray mixed with Clensan first time. Then cleaned. Got called back and just applied Clensan alone and left it. When back the next day. Still smelt, cleaned again and then applied Clkensan again and it still smells the same. Me thinks it's gone a bit deeper than I hoped and the carpet may need replacing.

Do you all agree?

Cheers,

Dave

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 05:12:06 pm »
Is there no way you can lift the carpet to see whats going on underneath it ? I bet if you lift it and treat it then the problem will be solved.

lands

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »
Paul is right David (if that is indeed the case) but treating floorboards is different to carpet. Was there any improvement after 2nd attempt and if so by how much?

Pete

david_claxton

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:08:19 pm »
Paul, I'm gonna have to tell the letting agent that I'm gonna have to lift the carpet. Might be a prob though as it appears to be glued down.

Pete, there was no improvement after the 2nd application.

If the floorboards need treating, what needs to be done???

Thanks again,

Dave

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:19:49 pm »
Dave, this problem is common and I come across it alot at a caravan park I clean for.
It some times takes up to four applications before the odour is removed.

I fully HWE then apply the deodouriser, 2 days later re spray deodoriser and repeat until odour has vanished.
I use cherry anti bacterial deodouriser from Mistral in Ireland.  Look on their web site or they trade on ebay, they are a chemical company with a huge range and although their prices have risen over the past couple of years they are still half the price of the main chem suppliers.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

lands

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:58:08 pm »
Surely after 2 goes Paul there would be some improvement if the problem would be dealt with eventually. Could it be, as you have said before, that the problem is overwhelming the bacteria ie. I mean saturating the area with the usual urine neut, followed by something like clensan with say 30 mins dwell then rinsing at about 96 degrees

By the way, has anyone had the "cleaning matters" e news in the last couple of days?

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
Pete, the old Prochem Clensan was very good and I still have 5 litres left, you spray it in and leave it to work.The new changed formula I feel is not as good, instructions are to spray,dwell for 20 mins and extract it out  :o

Any Bactrial deodoriser needs tim to work an should be left in to combat the odour ( spoilage bacteria) which can take over 12 hours. Another good product is Solubac from Solutions but agai needs lots in and leave to work over night.
After each spray you should have a noticable reduction in smell and the producers of the chemicals always say you may need a couple of applications, but on many occasions I have had to hit the probem 3 or 4 times before the smell goes.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

calmore

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »
It's always possible that the dog has peed somewhere else, such as behind the sofa or even up the wall which is contributing to the linger8ing smell.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:15:13 pm »
I can remember in my early days being commissioned to clean the carpets and wipe down all the paintwork in a property following a localised fire as there was a nasty smell.

It was only afterwards when the smell was still really bad that I decided to see if I could track it down.

I did finally find the problem!!!!

Somebody had turned off the electrics at the time of the fire by going around turning off all sockets.

The smell was coming from the rotting fish in the freezer which had been at room temperature for over a week!!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

david_claxton

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 08:36:58 pm »
Calmore, it's unfurnished.....i wish there was furniture or something that I could find.

Dr. We've cleaned the fridge freezer and no fish...

Did another, extensive, spray of Clensan today and will go and see what it's like tomorrow.

What fun!!

Dave

david_claxton

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »
Hello,

Since my last post I have applied Cleansan two more times and it still smells bad. I think the carpets going to need to be replaced. If they do replace them should I apply Cleansan to the floor boards prior to fitting?

Thanks,

Dave

Derek_Walker

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:15:09 pm »
Before dealing with the bacteria you need to break down the urine salts, which if left in the carpet will attract moisture from the air and and breed more bacteria. Urine turns into alkaline when dry so you need to use a hot acid rinse with dwell time to break down the salts and then extract. Once this is accomplished then use an anti bacterial solution and leave to dry. If the problem has gone through to the backing and into the underlay and flooring, then depending on the amount of soiling you will need to either change the underlay and treat the back of the carpet and possibly seal the floor underneath. Or if you have a small flood extraction tool, flood the carpet enough to reach the problem area let dwell and then extract from the padding. Remember, the urine will have spread out into a larger area when it hits the floor. 

sherco

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 04:33:49 pm »
Just a thought but could the dog have been cocking its leg on door frames and peeing, if so could be behind skirting the smells coming from.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

spencer davies

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 04:58:47 pm »
An acid rinse to deal with the Alkali remains from urine, then two treatments with Solubac, I do like clensan, but a heavy application that will penetrate the way that the urine did should do the trick.

As I found out recently, the acid deposits from the urine turn to an alkali after approximately two - three hours.

Regards

S

lands

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 07:36:55 pm »
So is the Acid rinse something you do as standard now Spencer and by this do you simply rinse/extract or can you spray applicate followed by usual treatments?

Pete

spencer davies

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 08:06:02 pm »
Hello Pete,

Acid rinse to reduce the high PH, Solubac after to try and deal with the smell, this subject came up at the NCCA agm.

Regards

S

Doug Holloway

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 08:40:46 pm »
Hi Guys

None of these methods are likely to break down the urine.

I developed my own neutarliser which worked quite, well but during my experiments found an enzyme based formula was the best.

The problem with that was the asthma sensirtisation caused by enzymes, this is when I had discussions with enzyme chemists.

Cheers

Doug