Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ECBS

White salt residue
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:22:55 pm »
We are getting white salt residue on the carpets in the commercial buildings that we service.  Is there any type of spray that can be applied to neutralize this.  We can do carpet cleaning but with the amount of salt & ice melter being used almost daily the lines will come back.   >:(
Brian Earley
Earley Complete Building Services
Cleaning Up Michigans Tri-County Area Since 1996
www.ecbsclean.com

John Kelly

Re: White salt residue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:56:26 pm »
The only neutraliser I'm aware of for salt is water. Unfortunately once the water evaporates you are left with the salt again.
If the carpets are dry then vacuuming with a really good upright vacuum cleaner, one with clean filters and new bag, should remove a lot of the salt crystals.
If you are wet extracting then the salt will wick back to the surface as the carpets dry. You could dry going with a bonnet system to dry off the top surface to prevent wick back.

PaulKing

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »
Is it stuck down direct to sub floor?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Andy Foster

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
Sounds like efflorescence to me, coming up from the floor below.

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »
Hi

Find a local dry carpet cleaner or someone with a rotary.

The more water you put in, it will just increase the size of the salt mark.

Regards

Martin 8)

Andy Foster

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:29:18 pm »
I see you are in the USA.
If you pay my air fare, I would be happy to come and do it for you.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
PS - are you far from Disneyland?

classcleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:44:01 am »
We are getting white salt residue on the carpets in the commercial buildings that we service.  Is there any type of spray that can be applied to neutralize this.  We can do carpet cleaning but with the amount of salt & ice melter being used almost daily the lines will come back.   >:(

Neutro-Wash added to wash bays and maintenance programs rinses away white salt residue from road salt, chlorides, and brines that corrode and rust vehicles and equipment. Said to be better than wash bay soaps alone, the solution neutralizes then breaks down residue on truck bodies, frames, and undercarriage components. Also eliminates corrosion that can plug pumps, spray bar nozzles, and fluid lines. One final application in spring eliminates traces of residue before summer storage.