Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Immersion heater frost protection.
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:03:44 pm »
While waiting for the weather to warm up this morning I phoned cleantech to order some bits and bobs. I asked the Scottish guy  ;D on the other end if he had ever come up with anything like an immersion heater to warm up your tank overnight.

Long story short I had a convo with a window cleaner in Worcester who puts a fishpond heater in his tank to raise the temperature a few degrees and who said that he was already out working today when other w'c'rs were sat defrosting their vans. He said just go and buy one from a garden centre and float it in the aperture of your tank overnight.

He uses 2 x 300w ones in his 800L tank and says it raises the temperature a few degrees and that the temperature in the van raises enough to keep his system frost free.

My nearest garden centre only had 150w ones so I bought two at £17 each and they are floating in the top of my 400L tank as I type - I'll tell you the results for me tomorrow.
It's a game of three halves!

jeff1

Re: Immersion heater frost protection.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:38 pm »
Trevor Knight also uses them in his tanks.

LWC

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:07:04 pm »
let us know, great

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:08:23 pm »
Trevor Knight also uses them in his tanks.

That's re-assuring!

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
I use a gas cooker, it works fine...no freezing for me except the other night when it ran out of gas!!!!!! the strainer lid cracked, but the Window Cleaning Warehouse had one to me ( not courier because I missed the right time ) in less than 24hrs, so well done!! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

LWC

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:16:27 pm »
I use a gas cooker, it works fine...no freezing for me except the other night when it ran out of gas!!!!!! the strainer lid cracked, but the Window Cleaning Warehouse had one to me ( not courier because I missed the right time ) in less than 24hrs, so well done!! Luke

great for lunch time too and when you need a warm cuppa

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:48 pm »
Unfortuantely, I have to pull it out before work, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 10:32:53 pm »
No need to be smutty.

steve m

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:49:34 pm »
I never freeze either, bought a 12 volt immesion heater from ebay. To keep the temp down when working I have a plug in timer that cuts ouot at half past six. Now all I have to do is find a way to stop my hands going numb

Dean Aspects

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:38 pm »
Can someone post a link to these heaters please sounds a good idea

Dean

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 09:02:09 am »
Thanks Roy - the ones recommended to me were higher wattage specifically for outdoor ponds - they have a circle of hard foam to keep them floating on the water.

I haven't got a thermometer but I've just checked the van and the water deffo feels less cold than normally.

Mind you we're just above freezing here today, unlike the last few days.