Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Mason

Aliminium Poles
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »
Whats peoples views on Ali Poles,Im currently using one for Domestic work as well as Commercial and finding it rather heavy,especially on Conservatory roofs. Is the weight difference huge compared to fibre glass? ??? ???

NWH

Re: Aliminium Poles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:49:53 pm »
Carbon fiber is what you should be looking at.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:50:33 pm »
I have a Brodex Pro-long Aluminium 25ft, 2 x Xtels Fibreglass 17ft, and 1 x 45ft Carbon Fibre SL2, 1z preditor 18ft, Aluminium can be heavier or lighter than glassfibre it depends on the manufacturer, carbon fibre is the lightest/stiffest material for wc'ing.

For under 20ft I recommend glassfibre, above 20ft-30ft either Hybrid ( Glass and Carbon ) or Carbon fibre, above 30ft, it has to be Carbon fibre, in my view. I would get the 25ft ( 30ft use ) SL-X from Gardiner pole systems, its Carbon fibre, light and stiff and has small sections, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Simon Mason

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:01:26 pm »
We're using Tucker Poles with the wonderful clamps. Gotta love em!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Whats peoples views on Ali Poles,Im currently using one for Domestic work as well as Commercial and finding it rather heavy,especially on Conservatory roofs. Is the weight difference huge compared to fibre glass? ??? ???

Many people are fine with ali poles.  I was Ok for a while using a 24' ali pole as my main pole but then started to get a problem with one shoulder.  Started with tingling and gradually developed into severe tightness at times.  I might have helped if I hadn't tried using it at difficult angles.  So I switched to an 18' glass Extender pole and my shoulder became OK.  I still use my ali poles for certain types of work where I need a bit of "beef" to it.  Ali is certainly very durable.  I've come to the conclusion that no pole is perfect.  They all have their uses depending on what type of job needs to be done.

Simon Mason

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:34:40 pm »
window above conservatory roof is a right killer with ali. Do tend to keep 6 sections   
on at all times, to save time when a skylight comes into play.Would be ideal to get a fibre glass one for 2 storey work. Fly around the houses!!

NWH

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:37:47 pm »
Buy a facelift 34ft carbon fiber and all your worries will be over,to date it`s the most durable best built and best looking pole there is of that height.If you buy 1 just get the pole with a thread on the end and use a different brush,the facelift brush isn`t domestic freindly.

matt

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:39:48 pm »
i used a unger ali pole for years, it lasted for years and if it blew over int he wind, you pick it up and use it again

now i have tried various glass fibre poles and they were all the same weight if not heavier

im now using a lightweight fishing pole, it does a crackin job and its ligth enough for my 4 yr old daughter to use ( she is now 5 )

Simon Mason

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:52 pm »
Carbons pretty expensive,would love one of those babies,but cant see my boss shelling out for that.We're fitting out a transit for a 1000l tank,and I'm sniffing round for better poles,hose fittings etc...
Hoselocks just leak constantly,got 4 holes in my pole hose and getting the hump with the constant tightening of all the screws on a Tucker gooseneck/brush head

dai

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 04:52:06 pm »
I have a 33 ft unger ali pole, a DIY reflex carbon fishing pole like Matt and a £15 B&Q, 5 metre Harris, telescopic  aluminium decorators pole. The Harris pole has been my number one pole for domestics for the last 3 months. It's a very handy pole and just £15. Dai

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 06:02:18 pm »
Jeez Dai, just think what that's doing to your image!

dai

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
Jeez Dai, just think what that's doing to your image!
It puts my brush just where I need it, and that's all I want from it. Dai

gary999

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 10:22:10 pm »
after i saw your post a while back on harris poles i adapted one myself stuck a unger adapter for vikan brushes work fine for my standard 2 up 2down properties nice and light. saying that anything is when i normally use my 24 ft universal for most jobs.

good suggestion dai take no notice of the knockers mate ;D ;D

pjulk

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:49:02 pm »
I have a 36ft powerpole and its a great pole not often used now but is occasionally usually at 24ft.

I have had a few extender poles at 18ft and to be honest they didn't last long.
One i snapped getting a window above a conservatory.
The other started to splinter so got chucked.

I also have a 15ft fibreglass pole i think i got from the WCW with a yellow brush.

After 2 days use the clamp jammed and i could not get the pole up.
So threw it in my shed for about 6 months then got it out last week and managed to free the clamp off.
Used it for 4 days and the twist clamp split.
So from new got 6 days of work from it.

I have a 3 piece unger teleplus pole and converted it to WFP with internal hose and its great been using it over a year and never a problem.
The clamps are now wore out and it is starting to twist occasionally but if i can find where i can get new clamps i will replace them.

I would get another unger pole as they do the job and last better than the fibreglass poles i have had.

Paul

matt

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 11:18:57 pm »

The clamps are now wore out and it is starting to twist occasionally but if i can find where i can get new clamps i will replace them.

Paul

cleantech do them, they do cleantech own brand cones ( black in colour ) about 4 quid a unit

pjulk

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 04:39:47 pm »
Thanks matt just order a set and an extra spare set.

Get another year out my unger pole

Paul