Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike 108

Filthy windows - has anyone done this?
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »
Has anyone done this and is it worth it?

For WFP (or ‘trad’) on really filthy windows (that have not been cleaned for months or are covered in sea spray) – does anyone connect to an outside tap and then hose & scrub the windows before they clean with pure water (or clean water and detergent)?

The advantages for WFP’s are likely to be:

1.  a better end result guaranteed (I would think)
2.  much less use of purified water (I’m thinking here of cost of resin and inconvenience of refilling of tanks)

The advantages for ‘trad’ cleaners are likely to be:

1.  a very easy ‘proper/final’ clean
2.  a better end result (no smears/lines)
3.  wash water/detergent kept clean (not needing replacement as often)
4.  less detailing necessary
5.  sill cloths/wiping cloths remain clean

The obvious disadvantage for both is that the job would take longer – (or would it, if the windows were really bad)?

Have to go out - will read later. Thanks

Mike

xxmattyxx

Re: Filthy windows - has anyone done this?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:49:11 pm »
I have on occasions trad, Im also contemplating it with WFP as it's my first day tomorrow, bit concerned about the length of time it might take, swapping pipe-work about etc though, also I am starting out with a trolley at the mo and my water supply is therefore limited by comparison to a van system; one reason why I have a DI vessel on order, can make some up throughout the day.

However, either way Id say its probably not a bad idea.
I might be able to inform you on a more knowledgeable basis this time tomorrow  ;D

Matt

niceandclean

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »
On first cleans, if there is an outside tap i always clean the windows with this, then go back round using pure.

trevor perry

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 03:54:53 pm »
 we have recently done one job that hadnt been cleaned for years it had aluminium frames that where full of cobwebs, muck  and everything else that can be a pig to move it was a large commercial job and would of took forever to get a good standard of clean.
    what we did was to clean first with our pressure washer, we turned the pressure down to about 1000psi and had the temperature at about 50 degrees it moved all cobwebs etc very quickly, one man went in front blasting and two of us followed with wfp it was very quick and the results where brilliant.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »
Put some GG3 in a backpack or a diluter version into the tank to release the dirt, clean all the glass then rinse with pure. Some use tfr if they have traffic wax on them.
Yep use tap water as well, saves on the pure.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 04:10:24 pm »
If you do it this way with tapwater first would you say its ok to get the water on the top frame-bar above the glass with tap-water and then when you go back with pure to stick to just the glass and side frames?

Matt

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:17:53 pm »
i only tend to do this on con cleans to save on pure water, then i finish off with a good scrub and rinse using pure water
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

niceandclean

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 04:18:56 pm »
I normally just scrub the glass a few times when using the pure, then rinse the whole frame including the top.

Mo

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 05:21:47 pm »
Just wfp ;D

Mike 108

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 05:30:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

To be honest with you all, I did do this myself yesterday - 6 weeks since last clean and ALL properties near the sea (unable to see through some of the glass because of build-up of sea spray and dirt),

The final/proper clean was a doddle and the window glass, frames amd sills came up beautiful - but each property took me about a quarter as much time again as it would normally.

At the end of the day, it had added about one hour to the day's work for no extra pay!! (and unfortuneately, with this continuing weather, they are probably going to be just as bad next time).

Is it just/unjust to charge more on a one-off basis - or should I just take the good times as balancing out the bad times?

Mike

Mike 108

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »
Mo

WOW! That's impressive. But how much time and effort was involved?

Mike