Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Andrew44

DI QUESTION
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:14:04 pm »
I'm setting up an RO system in my shed and will polish off with a DI.  I will then pump pure water to van but is it a good idea to have another DI in the to make 100% sure water that is coming out of pole is 100% pure...or is that a wate of time and money??

Appreciate comments

Re: DI QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:17:26 pm »
I'm setting up an RO system in my shed and will polish off with a DI.  I will then pump pure water to van but is it a good idea to have another DI in the to make 100% sure water that is coming out of pole is 100% pure...or is that a wate of time and money??

Appreciate comments
I have doubled up on di's as it saves resin as I was chucking mine as soon as it hit 001 but I have van mount.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:16 pm »

Appreciate comments

There really is no need to have a DI in the vehicle unless you suspect your storage tanks have contamination.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:27:01 pm »

Appreciate comments

There really is no need to have a DI in the vehicle unless you suspect your storage tanks have contamination.
true point Alex,
but it is worth having one in van incase you run out of water and need to get a little more to finish a job

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:10:42 pm »
Yes, that would be a good reason.  I keep a small 8 litre DI vessel in the vehicle with hose connector just for emergencies. I can plug it into an outside tap and run two poles off of it.

alanwilson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:15:51 pm »
we ro into 2 inline di vessels (both 19ltr) before storage tanks, each van has a di in them as well (11 ltr I think), for all it is theres no point in scrimping on resin, plus it lasts for ages if you use more than one vessel.  We get through 2 bags a year on about 6500ltrs a week.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

vivaro 013

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:22:34 pm »
Yes, that would be a good reason.  I keep a small 8 litre DI vessel in the vehicle with hose connector just for emergencies. I can plug it into an outside tap and run two poles off of it.

what the cost of a 8lts di vessels full with resin supplied by yourselves

Andrew44

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:21 pm »
Thanks for your comments guys.

Alan, my thinking was on your lines - ie the purity of the water is everything(or most of the process) so if the resin in the van is'nt doing much (nor should it really) then that vessel should last a long time.  It was my insurance policy.

I will have a 650 lt static tank in shed with 18 ltr DI vessel.  Is it worth me running two DIs in the shed as well??  If so presume the run in series link ie water goes through one then the other, or is it parrallel link??

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:29:43 pm »

what the cost of a 8lts di vessels full with resin supplied by yourselves

The 8 litre pressure vessels are £70 and to pre-fill it with 6 litres (it's best to only 3/4 fill the canister) of resin would cost £25 or it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 25 litre sack which would give you 4 refills for £59.50.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Alan, my thinking was on your lines - ie the purity of the water is everything(or most of the process) so if the resin in the van is'nt doing much (nor should it really) then that vessel should last a long time.  It was my insurance policy.

I will have a 650 lt static tank in shed with 18 ltr DI vessel.  Is it worth me running two DIs in the shed as well??  If so presume the run in series link ie water goes through one then the other, or is it parrallel link??

There is no need to run twin vessels in the static set up if you have one in the van. If you have one in the static set up and one in the van you can treat these as a twin vessel set up and when the water quality rises in the final one, transfer it from the vehicle to the static set up, refill the static one and put it in the vehicle as your new final polishing unit.  The resin should last you a very long time used this way.

alanwilson

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:28 pm »
not quite - if you run 2 vessels before the storage tank it helps prevent any buildup of algae in the tank.  of course the most important thing to do when storing water is to keep it out of the sunlight but even with a small amount of sunlight algae can grow quite quickly.

anyway for the very small cost of £30 for a vessel its definitely worth having one more to ensure continued water quality.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:59:53 pm »
Algae can grow in storage tanks of water but usually when the water is not used regularly. We have had a 1000 litre IBC outside in sunlight now for 7 years. Periodically we check it for growth, there never is any. However the contents of this tank is changed very regularly, with it being almost completely emptied every couple of days. The water that goes into the tank is RO water, but not DI polished. Others findings may vary, but we have never had a problem with it.

alanwilson

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 04:06:40 pm »
our first 1000ltr storage tank grew an algae lining inside 2 months - we used about 900ltrs a day then.

the water was di water.  it was in sunlight though.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 04:19:49 pm »
Isn't that strange?  :-\

macmac

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »
not quite - if you run 2 vessels before the storage tank it helps prevent any buildup of algae in the tank.  of course the most important thing to do when storing water is to keep it out of the sunlight but even with a small amount of sunlight algae can grow quite quickly.

anyway for the very small cost of £30 for a vessel its definitely worth having one more to ensure continued water quality.

My 400ltr tank  (van mount) has been filled with tap water for 4 years now & has never had algae grow in it, it's never been cleaned out either.

Tony

Andrew44

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »
[

There is no need to run twin vessels in the static set up if you have one in the van. If you have one in the static set up and one in the van you can treat these as a twin vessel set up and when the water quality rises in the final one, transfer it from the vehicle to the static set up, refill the static one and put it in the vehicle as your new final polishing unit.  The resin should last you a very long time used this way.

Thanks Alex