Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

A silly truckmount question
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:11:43 pm »
Cleaning a hammered 80/20 carpet this morning using 100 ft of hose at 400 psi ,  If I dropped the pressure down to say 200 psi wound I have been cleaning with hotter water , My  question is which is more beneficial to the cleaning process heat or psi

John

Mike Halliday

Re: A silly truckmount question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:24:30 pm »
yes decreasing the flow through the heat exchanger will increase the available temp.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

richie

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »
Hi John,

Mike is right, decreasing the psi will increase the water temp.
Which TM are you using?  There is no need to be cleaning a domestic carpet at 400psi unless it is totally trashed.  300psi should do the job due to the high flow rate that TMs use.  Over the past 14 years or so i have cleaned 99% of domestic carpets at 250-300psi and apart from the early days when i didnt know better i cleaned commercial carpets at 300-400psi (most @ 300-350psi).

psg

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:39:59 pm »
I will agre with ritchie 100% on this one

PSG

john rees

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 08:50:40 pm »
If It's got  heat exchangers try increasing the rev's that will give more heat too!

all the best

John
john

Dave_Lee

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 09:14:03 pm »
Its amixture of psi and heat. As has been explained 300 psi is normally sufficient, down to 250 on lo profile polyprops. Dont forget to let the TM warm up for a few minutes before you start working, and give your prespray some dwell time.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 02:34:07 am »
I will voice an oposing opinion.

When you turn down the pressure you will have less flow, the water will travel slower to the wand.

There is a big difference between what a gauge says AT the TM, and waht temp. you have AT the fiber.

I am willing to guess if you tested your example above, you would have hotter water at 400 psi.

liahona

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:33 am »
With out explaining too much, what Jeff has said in the above post is correct.  Best, Dave.

nevil

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:32 am »
I will voice an oposing opinion.

When you turn down the pressure you will have less flow, the water will travel slower to the wand.

There is a big difference between what a gauge says AT the TM, and waht temp. you have AT the fiber.

I am willing to guess if you tested your example above, you would have hotter water at 400 psi.

I reckon that particular issue depends on the ambient temperature.

The length of hose.

The insulating properties of the hose.

I am sure by tweaking these three, you could make an arguement supporting either theory.

david_green

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:48:25 am »
Without wishing to stir up the truckmount/ porty ants nest. Can someone tell me how the water flow rates usually compare. I am guessing that it's 1 gallon per minute for portables and 3 gpm for truckmounts am I right?

I know they vary but am I in the right ball park.

Thanks

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 11:51:11 am »
 At the machine @ 200psi the water will be hotter, how long that water takes to hit the carpet is then the deciding factor, lots of variables that then will affect the final temp.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpet guy

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 03:20:15 pm »
A good reason for heating your solution, with an inline heater and within 15 ' or so of the wand, then you will have a lot of heat all the way down to the carpet and on most occasions you will only need 200