Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bonkors

Commercial Jobs
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:54:48 pm »
what "paper work" do you need to have in order to be considered for commercial jobs such as schools, uni's, offices, hotels etc, etc, etc? what type of insurance or certifictes would they want to see?

Rob_Mac

Re: Commercial Jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:02:17 pm »
Schools - you need to be on a approved contractor list and be willing to be police vetted.

All other commercial work minimum - method & risk assessment, you may need a CIS card or relevant construction qualification

Rob ;D

Bonkors

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:07:17 pm »
Schools - you need to be on a approved contractor list

method & risk assessment, you may need a CIS card or relevant construction qualification

Rob ;D

thanks Rob, how do you get on a approved contractor list?

what would be a relevant constrution qualification and what is a CIS card?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:14:59 pm »
We work with a large supermarket chain - nationally and do not require CIS cards and never have - there will be those more in the know than me.

School approved contractor lists - go into a local school and just ask them how you could get on it.

We did and they were more than happy to give the details of who to send the info to

Rob ;D

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 01:16:58 pm »
Schools - you need to be on a approved contractor list and be willing to be police vetted.

All other commercial work minimum - method & risk assessment, you may need a CIS card or relevant construction qualification

Rob ;D

This is not so true cos I have some schools and they in fact have never asked for anything, I think if in doubt ask them what they require, the fact that you have asked them shows them that you would want things to be done correctly , this will speak volumes about you

Bonkors

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:01 pm »
what is a cis card?

chrismroberts

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:43 pm »
Why would window cleaners need a CIS card? CIS is Construction Industry Scheme.... and were not constructing anything.

what is a cis card?

CIS card is a certificate held by sub contractors that must be presented if any construction work is to be done for a contractor.  There are certain criteria companies must hit to be counted as contractors. The contractor must deduct 18% from any payments made to the sub contractor, and these are deducted from the sub contractors tax/NI bill at the end of the year.  The scheme was introduced as a way of making sure enough tax was paid by building companies.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:24:39 pm »
Sheepmeister

I'm not replying to be shot down. A lot of window cleaners work around the construction industry on various tasks. Every supermarket site we go on is a building site.

You don't really get to work on a building site unless you have a card.

I know that when I am pressure washing the front of a store - with nothing above me there will be no choice but to wear my hard hat. I don't like it and can see no need for it but I do it because they are site rules.

Do you do a lot of high end commercial work

Rob ;D

chrismroberts

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:28:16 pm »
Sheepmeister

I'm not replying to be shot down. A lot of window cleaners work around the construction industry on various tasks. Every supermarket site we go on is a building site.

I know that when I am pressure washing the front of a store - with nothing above me there will be no choice but to wear my hard hat. I don't like it and can see no need for it but I do it because they are site rules.

Do you do a lot of high end commercial work

Rob ;D

I'm not trying to shoot you down mate, just never come across this before.

No (not yet ;)), but I worked in the finance department for a large contractor for a few years, and had to deal with CIS subcontractors and their payments every day.  I dont remember window cleaning ever being eligible for CIS deductions.

Bonkors

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »
Sheepmeister

Rob ;D

does this mean that you cannot do builder cleans without this?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 01:30:46 pm »
Chris

Without disrespecting you or having a go at your values.

We expected to have police vetting as a minimum when we looked at schools and we were told that this would have to be the case.

I am gobsmacked that you arew going into areas that have been targeted by Paedos in the past and you don't have to prove your status.

You could be anyone and you could have a interesting background - to say the least. I am not saying you have and do not want to slander your reputation.

I would expect all school authorities to have police checks on contractors a s a minimum requirement

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 01:33:19 pm »
Sheepmeister

I don't hold a CIS card and have never been asked to produce one - the answer is I don't know.

If I didn't have one and it was a requirement I would have one whether I wanted to or not. I may ask the questions after the event

Good luck

Rob ;D

chrismroberts

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 01:40:22 pm »
You may be right....

Have a look at this.  Used to have a copy of this but never noticed the part about "internal cleaning"..... might be worth checking with the Revenue?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/new-cis/cis348.pdf

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 09:00:48 pm »
Rob (Midas)

I understand what you are saying and I agree but as far as I know they may well have checked me out they have just never said anything or asked for any references

Pj

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 09:12:10 pm »
You should all be open and indeed offer any check on yourselves if you want good commercial work.

Be prepared to provide at least 3 reputable references, a proper Police or equivalent security check with pass to prove if necessary, proper proof of adequate Public Liability Insurance, and audited proof of last year's accounts report.
Plus all safety certs if you are selling that service.

If you don't want to give all those details then they don't have to think twice. ;)