Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike 108

TDS - resin not working
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:41:55 pm »
"IMO and IME a resin chamber partially filled will channel, thus a percentage of water going through will be untreated and contaminate what should otherwise be cleansed water."

"No, a tightly packed vessel will channel, not a loosely packed one. Think about it, if the resin is loose it can move around."

Who is right?

Anyone got the official printed advice from manufacturers of resin bottles?

DASERVICES

Re: TDS - resin not working
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:50:15 pm »
I would say none of you!!!! But depends on size of vessel!!

Capacity x flow of water makes a huge impact.

If you have low capacity of resin and high flow of water the chance will be your tds will not come out 000, slow the flow rate down then tds will come out 000.

If you have high volume of resin ( 10l ) and high flow of water then tds will come out as 000.

It is a mixture of volume and flow rate that will give you 000 tds.

Mike 108

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:59:05 pm »
D.A.   That 'flow rate' idea would seem to make good sense - but what about the 'channeling' idea. Should Di bottles be fully filled or only 3/4 filled?

Mike

NWH

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:02:20 pm »
It should be filled to the neck of the can.

Mike 108

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:05:25 pm »
NWH  Why are you so sure?

Mike

DASERVICES

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:14:57 pm »
D.A.   That 'flow rate' idea would seem to make good sense - but what about the 'channeling' idea. Should Di bottles be fully filled or only 3/4 filled?

Mike

It depends what volume is the di vessel, volume is key. I have a 11l did vessel which I can fill 3/4 full. I know of others who have the di vessels which Cleantech sell which are used for coffee machines. They are too small if filled 3/4 full but will work if the flow rate is slow, if high tds will increase rapidly but if you slow the flow rate it will not.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:28:43 pm »

Mike
if you filled a di up 3/4 dry it would flatten when water is put in meaning less than 3/4 full.

you cannot fill a di full up 1, you would not get the filter back in, 2 if you ever did do this again it would have to be compressed big time to get any where near full.

Davew

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »
I was told to fill three quarters then when tds starts to rise give the vessel a tap and a shake to stop chanelling. Can't remember who told me though and it could be wrong. ;D
I must admit when i did fill it last i filled to almost max because i would have to waste the last litre of resin otherwise ( i bought five litres for my eighteen inch vessel)

Mike 108

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:42 pm »
Windowwashers - I agree. I have always filled mine to the top (leaving room to screw the top back on) and it has always 'settled' after water has flowed through for a short time.

I think DA Services has got it right - the 'flow rate' and size of Di vessel are the important factors.

Mike

Mike 108

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:55 pm »
Davew  -  Mmmm?

Mike

DASERVICES

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:50:36 pm »
This is what I do and it works as I have a large di vessel.

I fill it up to around 5/8 full, after a month the TDS rises and I add a couple of cups full and TDS drops down to 000. I keep on repeating this process until the resin is near the top, where I will add a little water to help me put the head and tube back in.

I always backflush to create new channels in the resin.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 10:38:19 pm »
I would say none of you!!!! But depends on size of vessel!!

Capacity x flow of water makes a huge impact.

If you have low capacity of resin and high flow of water the chance will be your tds will not come out 000, slow the flow rate down then tds will come out 000.

If you have high volume of resin ( 10l ) and high flow of water then tds will come out as 000.

It is a mixture of volume and flow rate that will give you 000 tds.

I suppose that this would support the idea of having DI vessel(s) after the RO rather than polishing RO'd water at the point of use - the point of use usually being a higher flow rate than what comes out of an RO.

DASERVICES

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 11:11:20 pm »
Yes because if you see some r/o systems that are linked to a di the hose is very small diameter so flow rate is slow.

macmac

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 11:25:22 pm »
Fill a 10/11Ltr DI vessel 3/4 with resin, when TDS starts to rise, diss-connect it, let some water out ( to make a bit of room inside ) & give the vessel a good shake up/down - side to side for approx 30 seconds. this will get rid of any channels created by internal water flow & tds will go back to 000 once it has settled back down & a couple of Litres run through it. This has a better effect when virgin resin is used.
DA is right on the flow thing, blast water through a DI at mains pressure & the resin can't purify quick enough. However, a 10Ltr DI vessel filled 3/4 with resin will purify water easily with the small pumps we use for wfp, even at full flow rate.

tony

DASERVICES

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20:34 am »
And in this weather make sure there is no water in your di vessel at the end of each day, as this will leave you open to fungi growing in your resin. As some of you know on here who were caught out with resin that had gone black and sticky.

Emptying your water also helps in getting more out of your resin.