Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave hook

ply line & protectakote
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:32:31 pm »
My new system is ordered now and the protectakote is on the way to get the ball rolling.
 The only query i have is im told you can protectakote over the ply lining as long as you silicone any gaps between the wood and the floor. Is this the best way to go about waterproofing or should I rip the ply lining up? Its a brand new van and the ply line came with it as it was a cancelled order so it didnt cost me anything extra but I dont wanna make extra work for myself if I can just waterproof over the wood.
  Anyone any ideas? Cheers.
Money makes my world go round!

tatman

Re: ply line & protectakote
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:53:43 pm »
i ripped my ply lining out m8 its the floor of the van that needs protecting i know some of the lads do both. you having a 40ich system fitted?

matt

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:59:12 pm »
the ply lining will only be screwed in, undo the screws and take the ply out, then refit after you paint

tonylee

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:00:22 pm »
hi
with mine i took it all out coated the floor and six inches up the sides and then put the ply back on the sides only. ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
My new system is ordered now and the protectakote is on the way to get the ball rolling.
 The only query i have is im told you can protectakote over the ply lining as long as you silicone any gaps between the wood and the floor. Is this the best way to go about waterproofing or should I rip the ply lining up? Its a brand new van and the ply line came with it as it was a cancelled order so it didnt cost me anything extra but I dont wanna make extra work for myself if I can just waterproof over the wood.
rip up the ply from floor and paint the floor dont add ply on top it will rot the van floor

Dave hook

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:39 pm »
Yes im being kitted out with a 40 inch system! Cant wait, got a shiny new van to go with it as well i'll sort some pics out when the jobs finished.
Money makes my world go round!

Mike_G

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:03:39 pm »
A friend of mine has an 04 vivaro which has had the protectakote painted on to the ply since new and his floor has not fallen out! Might be worth your while phoning protectakote direct and ask them. 0845 430 4030 .

matt

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:10:51 pm »
rip up the ply from floor and paint the floor dont add ply on top it will rot the van floor

can i ask why you say that ?? ? ?

as the protectakote painted on the ply floor and a few "'s up the wall will surely act the same as direct to the floor, afterall your still keeping the water off the van floor it will just sit ontop of the protectakote ( just as it would if it was painted on the van floor )

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:52:52 am »
your right but when its down its down!!!!

it might put someone off buying your van when you sell it, you know how fussy some people are thats why i'd opt for putting it on the ply and not on the van floor ;)
I cant see how protecting the floor would put anyone off buying it, I would use it as a selling point  ;)

the reason I say about the ply Matt is for one reson one, if somehow there is one spot missed (pin sized) and you put ply over the top, you have a very big problem it will rot the van floor out, this will be the release point for the water, you cant see the problem happening.

and as someone said once it is down it is down, how often do you check under ply that is down ?

my reason for not painting over ply is nearly the same but IMO opinion that is a worse option then plying over paint because all of the floor would be exposed to water that you cant see or get at very easy it will be eating your van floor as it has no means of going anywhere else. Water is a tuff cookie and also always takes the easy route out and that being down.

matt

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 09:19:27 am »
i would allways take it up, i was just interested in your reason

the pin prick hole could also hapen when painted directly to the floor, the water will be hidden under the layer of paint, in the VW scene people have used Dynamat and a bitumin tar on the insides, this cuts down on " tin can rattle " you get in vans and on the floor it cuts down on road noise, it works, except when water does get behind it, you cannot tell and it starts to rust