Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrismroberts

Merlins...
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:16:28 am »
Hi all :)

I'm on a water meter so its really starting to disturb me how much waste water my merlins are chucking out... it must be something like 3 to 1 waste!  :-\ :-\ I mean the pure water is pure and is produced fast (400 liters in about 4 hours), but the waste thats coming out is only between 150-270 TDS (it seems to vary!)

Is there any way to cure this? What sort of alternatives to Merlins are there? I dont really understand Reverse Osmosis but I dont mind spending a bit of cash if there is a system that'll produce a better ratio at a similar speed.

Rogue Trader

Re: Merlins...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:31:30 am »
I am in exactly the same boat as you ..... the bill is worrying and so is seeing the sheer quantity of water flowing out the waste  :o

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:30 am »
Hi all :)

I'm on a water meter so its really starting to disturb me how much waste water my merlins are chucking out... it must be something like 3 to 1 waste!  :-\ :-\ I mean the pure water is pure and is produced fast (400 liters in about 4 hours), but the waste thats coming out is only between 150-270 TDS (it seems to vary!)

Is there any way to cure this? What sort of alternatives to Merlins are there? I dont really understand Reverse Osmosis but I dont mind spending a bit of cash if there is a system that'll produce a better ratio at a similar speed.

4040  ;)

chrismroberts

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:33:00 am »
What is a 4040? I've seen people talking about it... but whats the difference? And is it expensive?? Sorry to sound dumb....!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:12:10 am »
What is a 4040? I've seen people talking about it... but whats the difference? And is it expensive?? Sorry to sound dumb....!

Very big RO basically. (10000 litres per day or so)

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Reverse_Osmosis.html

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:21:05 am »
A  40 inch ro unit, you not are sounding dumb at all, you just dont know thats all, everyone starts off the same.

a 4040 can make water quicker and the price is quite a bit more than a merlin 300gpd

Ian

chrismroberts

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:47:59 am »
Thanks for that. Can you buy smaller versions? I only use about 200 liters a day.... but for that I'm probably dumping 600 liters down the drain. Cant really make out the text, but the label above the flush valve (in the picture on Alex' site) says that it produces 3-4 gallons of waste for every 1 pure.... is that right? I'm more after saving water than producing it quicker. Thanks for the comments guys.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:57 pm »
Thanks for that. Can you buy smaller versions? I only use about 200 liters a day.... but for that I'm probably dumping 600 liters down the drain. Cant really make out the text, but the label above the flush valve (in the picture on Alex' site) says that it produces 3-4 gallons of waste for every 1 pure.... is that right? I'm more after saving water than producing it quicker. Thanks for the comments guys.
a 4040 also cuts down on waste.

you can get smaller merlins I think they do a 150.

Ian

chrismroberts

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:23:40 pm »
Thanks Ian. Do you have a 4040 system? How much pressure do you get going into the system, and how much waste water is produced? Thanks :)

jampot

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:40:07 pm »
hi ian
i know that the 4040 is good if you live in a hard water area, but is it worth having 1 if you live in a soft water area  ??? ???
i was thinking of getting the purefreedom 1
my water is 85ppm and im di only at the mo.
what you think mate  :)

MJH

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:16:52 pm »
i have a 4040 ro from Gaps water see google, i live in a medium water area and this system is excellent, i got the basic system kit for 600 quid(ro and prefilters and connections) so for that money its quite reasonable. I use about a 1000 litres a week and as yet have not had to change the prefilters or resin its running at 000.
i am also on a meter and its still costly whatever you run unless you have one of those zero waste thingies that cost the earth!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 03:52:13 pm »
hi ian
i know that the 4040 is good if you live in a hard water area, but is it worth having 1 if you live in a soft water area  ??? ???
i was thinking of getting the purefreedom 1
my water is 85ppm and im di only at the mo.
what you think mate  :)
was you thinking of getting just the ro from freedom or a van setup?

the 40 is the best option imo, but you can get away will less, depends how quick you want the water, it will be cheaper in the long run with RO as resin is expensive.
if getting a van set up from freedon ask him for 2 di tanks something i wanted but didnt get :'( and am now installing myself, as it does save money even thought I was advised not to.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:51 pm »
Thanks Ian. Do you have a 4040 system? How much pressure do you get going into the system, and how much waste water is produced? Thanks :)
Yes I do have this system, you can ask as much or as little waste as you want from what I do I waste about 30 % maybe 40% to pure, resin is more expensive than water, the thing I am doing now is adding a second di tank to my system, as I am fed up of throwing resin away when it is 1tds to 3tds, I like to always have water at 000 so having the second di will make my resin last longer thus being cheaper in the long run.

it takes me 4.5 hours max to fill 650l of water
Ian

Davew

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 04:11:03 pm »
I have a 300gpd r.o.man - produces pure at 006 then i polish it off with di in the van. First lot of resin lasted six months before it got to 001 - eighteen inch vessel. Can't see the point of a 4040 unless it's a van mount that needs a quick fill overnight or you need vast amounts of water.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 04:19:59 pm »
mine is a van mount.

saves so much time when filling, I think most people would have a 4040 it is the price that puts them off, if you are never going to expand and only use small amounts of water then a little ro is plenty good enough but it seems to me you have to have things working allday everyday and if you get a problem it takes far to long to make water again and time is money to me.

IAN

p.s anyone that has a Merlin I am not having a pop just giving my opinion ok

Davew

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 04:36:01 pm »
If it's van mounted then the only water tank you have is the one in the van. If you use a holding tank (1000l) then you don't need 4040 as you can be producing water for as long as you like day or night and will always have water in the tank as back up, 4040 produces faster costs more to buy and costs more for filters and membranes. Horses for courses.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:50:14 pm »
Windowwashers if your making water in a vehicle then yes a 40x4o is the best,but unless you have to make loads and loads of water quickly you don`t need a 40x40 as you have the whole day to make water.Don`t get brainwashed into thinking that the waste on a 40x40 in minimal it`s not,read the small print on the waste on a 40x40 you`ll be shocked.

jampot

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:29 pm »
hi ian
im getting a new van in the new year and going to looking for a decent system. ive got a combo at the moment with 250 tank in it, with 1 di.
but i want to go for somthing like 650l tank in vivaro or simular
just wanted to know what the best would be for me  ???
i want a 2 men system  ;)

Davew

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 05:09:46 pm »
Ian, when your filling your van, where does your waste go? Do you run a pipe to the nearest drain or does it flow down the road?