Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G & M

scratched windows
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:19:23 pm »
Guys I need help big time,
We were asked to clean new windows in a sports centre recently. We started it on monday morning, one inside and one  outside. The windows were not very dirty just some mastic and stuff, however when we used blades (new) we scratched all the glass. We tried another window and the same result. Is there a coating on the glass and if so how are we supposed to clean these kind of windows? Is there any way that the scratches can be removed or faded?
Thanks Michael

tacky

Re: scratched windows
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:28:19 pm »
im sure on new council etc buildings .they have started to put on a thin plastic clear film .so if window is smashed.it wont shatter .how to get round this i have no idea .not much help i know. but maybe other guys have come across this n can help u out

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:37:48 pm »
Tempered glass scratches very easy,.. always get a scratched glass waiver signed before you start the work!

Pat Purcell

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:10:01 am »
http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/
The site is fairly informative about scratching tempered or heat-treated glass, which you would almost definetly have in a sports center, the scratches are probably caused by whats call "fabrication debris", which are microscopic glass particles that become fused to the surface of the glass during the tempering process
The best way to find out if this is the problem is first check for the tempering stamp which should be on one of the bottom corners of the window unless its hidden under the seal, assuming the glass is tempered the scratches should be almost exclusively on one side of the glass, if they are then take a close look at one of the scratches ,follow it to its beginning and if there is a thicker section of scratch( sorry don't know another way to describe it) then its definetly "fab debris"
What happens is your scraper while going over the surface of the glass pops a glass particle out and pushes it ahead of the scraper causing a scratch and the thicker section of the scratch is where the particle came from
Its a very common occurrence here in the US , did not think you lads had many problems with it over there
If all the above is correct and it is fab debris your next problem is getting anyone to believe you, as Nat said " get a waiver signed" I think theres a sample one on that website
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Mr.G

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:57 am »
you could try using white spirit instead, and claim the scratches you made were there already!

keith b

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:47:01 am »
G & M,

Take a look at: www.scratchrepair.co.uk

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:45:49 am »
G & M,

Take a look at: www.scratchrepair.co.uk

what is 'cerium' polishing powder ? is it the same as jewellers rouge? as I have heard this can also be used.

keith b

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:14 pm »
Jewellers rouge also contains the rare earth element named `Cerium`, but Im not sure if the scratch repair composition for removing scratches in glass is exactly the same.

Basically jewellers rouge is a cerium oxide paste!

G & M

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:42:28 pm »
Thank you  all for all your help, I've not had a chance to log in until now but as usual answers are to be got on this site.
I will be checking out those sites tommorow.
I don't know how many of you do builders cleans but we will not be doing any going foward.
Thanks again -Michael

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:34 am »
Builders cleans are fine once you go in armed with information and ALWAYS get a scratched glass waiver signed.
Also,.. figure out a price and double it,.. builders cleans are always more time consuming and problematic than you expect. For this kind of work, you should be getting 50% more than your normal hourly rate,.. but so often that's not the case.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 11:11:49 am »
Builders cleans are fine once you go in armed with information and ALWAYS get a scratched glass waiver signed.
Also,.. figure out a price and double it,.. builders cleans are always more time consuming and problematic than you expect. For this kind of work, you should be getting 50% more than your normal hourly rate,.. but so often that's not the case.
do you have a waiver you can put up on here that will help everyone that does not have one ? or email it ?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 11:39:38 am »
I can't post attachments here,... but is on another forum which I won't mention for fear of being banned,....

(Click on my website link!)

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 09:15:45 pm »
Nathanael Jones

wat is the name of the other forum because i might want to join

jerry

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 09:29:30 pm »
e-mail me if you want the link,.. It'd be bad form to post a link here,... I have to respect Admin here!