Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave JP

Canvassing - Village from hell !
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:38:04 am »
Me and my mate we're out leaftlet dropping a village on Monday, returning yesterday to follow up with door-knocking.

Several of the houses in the village had signs on their doors - "We do not buy goods from the door".  Now, because I wasn't selling any goods at the door, but was offering a w/c service, I thought this would be ok......

Oh dear, how wrong I was - most of them seemed to be pensioners and had been to some sort of assertiveness class. 

One woman physically screamed at me to get off her drive - as this is a neighbourhood watch area !?!  :-\

An old boy of about 80, asked me to leave his garden or he would let his dog sort me out....

The majority of the others were very short saying 'Can't you read?', pointing to their signs, I explained that I was offering a w/c service and not selling anything.

I canvassed 43 houses and got one customer, I would say well over 50% were either very rude or shut the door in my face.

I ended up calling the new customer and saying I could no longer do her windows as it was not worth the drive out to the village for 1 clean.  I explained the situation and she was very nice about it, saying she had just moved in.  And also found some of the villagers a bit unfriendly.

Anyone had any worse canvassing results than that ?  Or problems with targeting Neighbourhood watch areas ?

Dissapointingly Yours,

Dave.  :-[

"Everywhere is in walking distance, if you have the time."

Ian Lancaster

Re: Canvassing - Village from hell !
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:49:24 am »
Could be they've been the victims of some particularly nasty door step con-men.  It would be expensive but you could try sending details by post if you really wanted to get a foothold in this village.

The post office do a "targetted" service for leaflet distribution.

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:18:58 am »
Me and my mate we're out leaftlet dropping a village on Monday, returning yesterday to follow up with door-knocking.

Several of the houses in the village had signs on their doors - "We do not buy goods from the door".  Now, because I wasn't selling any goods at the door, but was offering a w/c service, I thought this would be ok......

Oh dear, how wrong I was - most of them seemed to be pensioners and had been to some sort of assertiveness class.

One woman physically screamed at me to get off her drive - as this is a neighbourhood watch area !?!  Undecided

An old boy of about 80, asked me to leave his garden or he would let his dog sort me out....

The majority of the others were very short saying 'Can't you read?', pointing to their signs, I explained that I was offering a w/c service and not selling anything.

I canvassed 43 houses and got one customer, I would say well over 50% were either very rude or shut the door in my face.

I ended up calling the new customer and saying I could no longer do her windows as it was not worth the drive out to the village for 1 clean.  I explained the situation and she was very nice about it, saying she had just moved in.  And also found some of the villagers a bit unfriendly.

Anyone had any worse canvassing results than that ?  Or problems with targeting Neighbourhood watch areas ?

Dissapointingly Yours,

Dave.  Embarrassed

Looks like I've trained my customers in that village well... To fight off any window cleaners trying to get my work! I'm proud of them!

;)

Andy

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:25:21 am »
Looks like I've trained my customers in that village well... To fight off any window cleaners trying to get my work! I'm proud of them!

;)

Andy

Wow surrey to moray thats some commute in a morning i hope you are charging them well  ;D

Dean

supernova77

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:35 am »
Wow surrey to moray thats some commute in a morning i hope you are charging them well  Grin

Dean

I just about manage to break-even on it... But they all do a wicked tea and biscuits!

It's a pain when I get rained off with just 1 house to go though... I have to go back the next day just for that 1.  :-\

Andy

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:10:41 pm »
I work in the villages and grew up in one and i don't think doorknocking is the way to go. It's too pushy for country people.
I think the better way is to have a leaflet that says " if you require a quote then please leave this leaflet in view."
Alot of villages started to get targetted in the 80's onwards by out of town burglars and are now by nature wary of strangers. Which is partly why they don't live in towns.
Parish magazines and recommendations are the best way to pick up village work. I do quite well with leaflets also, but i never knock any doors unless i see my leaflet up at the window.
village work can take a bit of time to pick up quite a few but if you can hang in there for a while they can be very lucrative jobs. As long as you don't charge town prices.

Davew

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:12:20 pm »
My wife did a bit of canvassing for me in a small village a few weeks ago and got a similar response. It was because and elderly chap had previously been tied up and robbed by a couple. Girl asked to use the phone because her car had broken down... you can guess the rest.

Dave JP

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »
Andy, I reckon you've taught them too well !  

These village people (not the ones of YMCA fame) are certainly different to the city folk I'm used to.  I'm sure some of them had 6 fingers and larger ears than normal....

If they ever caught a burglar, then they'd certainly set him alight in a wicker man.

Dave.  ;D
"Everywhere is in walking distance, if you have the time."

NWH

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 03:13:32 pm »
You will always get this in little villages,the thing to do with them is to put a large card in the window of the local village shop they all look in the window,it`ll save you the leg work and get you more customers,just be polite to the shopkeeper.

ok cleaning

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 03:35:34 pm »
i think you asked for trouble mate if there is a sign people dont want to be desturb just walk away one little word (seller)explain everyting  you are not selling a  bunch of flowers but you are selling your services and of the daydo people have to have list on the door step ? reads book sellers ,carpet cleaners ,window cleaners,etc