Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poles apart

Easy battery connectors
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:29:04 pm »
I bought these recently and they save a lot of hassle and time if you regularly change batteries http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9566&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=battery%20connectors&doy=28m11
Rod

Re: Easy battery connectors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 06:05:10 pm »
I bought these recently and they save a lot of hassle and time if you regularly change batteries http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9566&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=battery%20connectors&doy=28m11
Rod
Have them on mine would not be without them.  ;D

Kev R

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:33:01 pm »
so what's wrong with a split charge relay?

poles apart

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:34:21 pm »
I tow a trailer with separate batteries.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:34:45 pm »
not going right into that one  ;)

Kev R

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:42:48 pm »

why not?

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:45:54 pm »

why not?
Cause I am guessing this is what you use, I dont because I dont think a van is made for this or there would be two batteries in a van or to altinators which there is not, split charging will fill half each IMO if that goes dead you are stuck

Kev R

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 06:53:23 pm »
It doesn't work Like that. With a split charge relay your main battery takes precedence  and you system battery only charges once your main (van) battery is full. Last year my system battery died and would not re-charge. My van was fine in fact I drove to the garage and bought a new 85 amp hour battery. Thats been fine ever since.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:59:41 pm »
It doesn't work Like that. With a split charge relay your main battery takes precedence  and you system battery only charges once your main (van) battery is full. Last year my system battery died and would not re-charge. My van was fine in fact I drove to the garage and bought a new 85 amp hour battery. Thats been fine ever since.  ;)
ok so if what you are saying is that your main battery never charges fully nor will you other battery?

I know people that use direct from there battery with no problem, I use seperate as IMO better safe that sorry, others use split reply, each to there own, I will not get sold on split relay

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:11:09 pm »
I take it we're talking batteries for powering the WFP delivery pump?

I use a pair of Halfords crocodile clips - never had any problems - cost about 75p each.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 07:13:54 pm »
I take it we're talking batteries for powering the WFP delivery pump?

I use a pair of Halfords crocodile clips - never had any problems - cost about 75p each.
:o :o :o how do you get power from a crocodile clip  ::) I use a battery myself  :P

SRY Ian, had a long day, and it aint over yet:(

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 07:26:57 pm »
You have to rub the crocodiles together very hard, then the friction sets up a static field which you can access by inserting a copper probe up the anus of each crocodile.  If you look very closely you'll see that rubbing them together like this results in one crocodile anus turning red, and the other turning blue.  You then attach a wire to each probe and connect the other end to the crocodile's left (for red anus) and right (for blue anus) nostril.   Then you show the red anus crocodile the positive battery terminal, and the blue anus crocodile the negative battery terminal.  Instinct inbred through millenia of static evolution (the crocodile is still the same as it was 50 million years ago) will cause the respective crocodile to clamp its jaws around the adjacent battery terminal, thereby completing a circuit and powering your pump.

Whatever you do, don't show the red anus crocodile the negative terminal, or the blue anus crocodile the positive terminal or you'll create a case of reptillian terminality, and b****r your Varistream into the bargain

:P :P :P :P

Ian  ;D ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 07:51:45 pm »
You have to rub the crocodiles together very hard, then the friction sets up a static field which you can access by inserting a copper probe up the anus of each crocodile.  If you look very closely you'll see that rubbing them together like this results in one crocodile anus turning red, and the other turning blue.  You then attach a wire to each probe and connect the other end to the crocodile's left (for red anus) and right (for blue anus) nostril.   Then you show the red anus crocodile the positive battery terminal, and the blue anus crocodile the negative battery terminal.  Instinct inbred through millenia of static evolution (the crocodile is still the same as it was 50 million years ago) will cause the respective crocodile to clamp its jaws around the adjacent battery terminal, thereby completing a circuit and powering your pump.

Whatever you do, don't show the red anus crocodile the negative terminal, or the blue anus crocodile the positive terminal or you'll create a case of reptillian terminality, and b****r your Varistream into the bargain

:P :P :P :P

Ian  ;D ;D
  :o LOL YOU HAVE JUST MADE MY DAY, nice one Ian  ;D ;D

Kev R

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
ok so if what you are saying is that your main battery never charges fully nor will you other battery?

I know people that use direct from there battery with no problem, I use seperate as IMO better safe that sorry, others use split reply, each to there own, I will not get sold on split relay

Fair enough, but with a split charge you'll never flatten your main battery. On some commercial jobs we do we use the system battery for 8-9hours with out charging it. We will still have enough umph to get start the van with a split charge relay. Its horses for courses!  ;)

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:03:58 pm »
Hi
My son has a Peugeot Partner with a separate Leisure Battery charged via a Split Charger Relay.
His round is within 6 miles of home. The van does a 30 mile round trip once every 2 weeks.
We have never had two put an auxilary charger on to boost his battery in the last 4 months he has used it.

I have a Split Charger Relay on my Suzuki Carry van to charge the leisure battery on my trailer. Unfortunately the van's alternator is too small and so I charge the trailer battery every second or third night. I do the same mileage as my son but without the long trip. However, I have been caught with a flat battery during the day as I have forgotten to charge the battery overnight, so can get by with running the engine. The alternator provides enough current to run the pump.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)