Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

access platforms
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:47:57 pm »
i hope you dont mind Kev R but i took this photo from your site.

I was just wondering, how safe is this type of work. I mean, it looks like it could fall over any minute. are there safety features built into the machine so you cant topple over?

need a cleaner

Re: access platforms
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:57:11 am »
Hi Richy, i just got my license yesterday for the boom and swissor lift, and as long you follow allthe safety procedures and not try to use it as a craine( we saw a video where a guy was trying to lift a massive xmas tree with the boom and the only reason he was still alive to tell the story was because is safety harness and restrain lancyard as the cage complectly turned upside down with the weigh). :)

Kev R

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »
Hi Ritchie

Well with the correct training and a little bit of experience the boom lift is safe in use. If you have the training and a bit of common sense you'll be fine. We always wear a short lanyard and full body harness. Observation is key to moving the platform safely. You don't really want to meet any power lines etc etc. The machines are fitted with tilt alarms and several other anti-tip features. The machine in the picture weighs about 6 ton so it breaks drain covers with ease. We always have at least one member of staff on the ground  as a safety person and another pair of eyes to help the operator avoid drain covers and soft ground etc. The operator always walks the route first. The safety person are also trained to bring the basket down to the ground or implement an emergency plan if required. (they do not have to be IPAF Trained)

I really would suggest taking an IPAF approved course. It covers you for 5 years and the cost is minimal to the potential earnings possible.

To be honest I really like this type of work  ;D

colley614

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:59:52 pm »

Good to see your IPAF trained Kev. When I worked for my old firm by boss did a days training from the local shopping centre after he had won the contract. The next night he expected me to drive the cherry picker whilst he went off cleaning mirrors at ground level.

I soon had him in the machine and he sent me off cleaning the mirrors. Within 10 minutes the security guard kicked us off site for not having someone at the bottom of the machine. I was made up, my boss said "I can't pay you, we didn't do the job." I said " you bloody can. I come out to work, its your fault we're not able to do it." 

Kev R

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:25:46 pm »
Its getting harder to hire a machine without an IPAF licence. I have also been asked on site by clients to produce my licence before work started.  I think my course was about £200 ish. The training is a good day out also.

One guy on my course turned out to be afraid of heights even though he had done trad window cleaning for years!!!

I have heard of boom operators charging as much as £400 per day for operator only work but have never been offered personally.

Richy L

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:44:04 pm »
I have a job coming up in Feb pressure washing at about 60 foot up so I'll be training to get my IPAF licence.
But being as its my first job, i'll be getting someone else to come in on it with me just so i can get some tips from someone with experience. Ive got a friend who does this type of work.

I dont want to be greedy and go for it all on my own and end up killing myself!

Kev R

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:31:20 pm »
1st thing read the manual that is supplied with the machine. The 15 mins spent doing this will be the best time spent.

Get a good safety man on the ground that can bring you back to earth if you need it and observe what you are doing. Go up by yourself and just take it easy. Look at the levers / controls and work out what you want to do before you do it. You will learn far quicker this way.

Accidents happen when you get complacent or take risks. You training will give you all you need to operate a mewp but only you can get the experience. 

Good luck Richy, be safe and enjoy!  :)

Kev R

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 02:20:33 pm »
How not to do it!!!!  ::)

need a cleaner

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:10 pm »
i really loved the last pic  ;D ;D ;D ;D