Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Weatherley

Leaded window problem
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:50:12 pm »
One of the houses where I clean windows has leaded windows. Problem is on the side of the house where there are only 2 windows there are smear marks coming down from the lead. I have only cleaned here for the second time today but gave these 2 windows 2 cleans each and rinsed and rinsed. After they had dried I got the ladder out and climbed up to take a closer inspection. It would appear that the smear marks are coming from the lead and even close up I was not able to remove them completely. It's almost as though the marks have impregnated the glass.
My customer is not holding me responsible  after all, all I did was clean them with pure water and nothing else, however I'd like to know if others have encountered this problem and if there are any ways of resolving the problem.

I suspect that the lead has become contaminated from a chemical in the air sometime and now this contamination mixed with the pure water is possibly causing the smears. Otherwise why dont I get the same promlem on the other 3 sides of the house?

Any ideas??

m.b.s.

Re: Leaded window problem
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:39 pm »
its not new lead is it as i have cleaned windows that have had new leaded windows on them and when it has rained they leave white spots all over befor i cleaned thembut then it dosent all come off on the first clean

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:26:39 pm »
I've also found this on some leaded glass. Usually new leaded glass. It can be stubborn to remove and can keep re-occuring for months but it does usually stop in the end. Just takes time.

On some double glazing the lead seems to be coated in something that stops this but on others it's terrible.

I've not come across anything to remove it quickly. Maybe someone else has. If they have I'd like to know the secret too.

kevinc

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:12:42 pm »
hi,if i remember rightly its the lead oxidisiding (the salts coming out from it)when i used to apply this stuff to double glazing in the nineties we used to wire wool these to stop it doing this temporerary,there is a chemichal you can use to stop this happening and i'll find out the name address etc if you like

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:19 pm »
hi,if i remember rightly its the lead oxidisiding (the salts coming out from it)when i used to apply this stuff to double glazing in the nineties we used to wire wool these to stop it doing this temporerary,there is a chemichal you can use to stop this happening and i'll find out the name address etc if you like
I guy done this to windows I was working on once, some sort of varnish they paint over the lead to stop this happening.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:29 am »
If the lead is oxidising, why is it only happening with 2 windows and all the others are fine? The windows are all a few years old and were installed at the same time according to my client

kevinc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:32:50 pm »
 :)asked a guy today who applies this stuff you can use patination oil from the builders merchant (they use it for new leadwork-stops white marks running everywhere)that should oxidise it quickley and stop the problem-hope this helps.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:42:36 pm »
:)asked a guy today who applies this stuff you can use patination oil from the builders merchant (they use it for new leadwork-stops white marks running everywhere)that should oxidise it quickley and stop the problem-hope this helps.

Patination oil only works for a short while until it wears off and then the problem re-surfaces. I have a customer who has 2 terrible leaded windows and he puts the oil on. it's okay for a short while but then the runs come back (not from WFP but from the rain) :(