Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Nightmare!!!!
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:51:27 pm »

Today went to Halfords to get a roofrack for my new car and hey presto my old one fits! I thought brilliant, only needed a little box of adapters to make it fit. Gets it home and starts fitting it. Front one goes on great then I puts the back passenger no problems, come to fit the back drivers side one and half way through screwing the thing locks up. So I undoes it and has a look and I had cross threaded it without noticing and now the thing was thread bare. I had to go to Halfords again and buy the same roofrack just for one little connecting bolt. Whilst trying to undo the cross threaded connector my phone starts ringing so I puts my hand in my pocket and pulls the phone out. As the phone comes out it catches something on my jeans pocket and goes sailing up into the air and lands in the middle of the road. So today I've had to buy a roofrack I already had and replace a mobile phone that was about 3-4 weeks old!

But on the bright side I did get a contract worth £1000 a year  ;D So I can't complain!

jeff1

Re: Nightmare!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:31 pm »
Pity, if you could have sent me the bolt I would have repaired it for you.

This litte tool not only tells you what thread and guage the bolt is, if you look closely you will see it has teeth just like a file, infact thats what it is, in 8 different sizes.
If you cross thread a bolt you just refile it using the correct gauge size, takes seconds and could have saved you a few quid.

Good on you for getting your big contract ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:46 pm »

Today went to Halfords to get a roofrack for my new car and hey presto my old one fits! I thought brilliant, only needed a little box of adapters to make it fit. Gets it home and starts fitting it. Front one goes on great then I puts the back passenger no problems, come to fit the back drivers side one and half way through screwing the thing locks up. So I undoes it and has a look and I had cross threaded it without noticing and now the thing was thread bare. I had to go to Halfords again and buy the same roofrack just for one little connecting bolt. Whilst trying to undo the cross threaded connector my phone starts ringing so I puts my hand in my pocket and pulls the phone out. As the phone comes out it catches something on my jeans pocket and goes sailing up into the air and lands in the middle of the road. So today I've had to buy a roofrack I already had and replace a mobile phone that was about 3-4 weeks old!

But on the bright side I did get a contract worth £1000 a year  ;D So I can't complain!
And I thought my day was going bad.

Many thanks you have just make me realise there is always someone worse off  ;)

colley614

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:33 pm »

jeff1 I still think I have all the parts. Maybe I could get the use of that tool and keep it as a spare.

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:15:37 pm »

jeff1 I still think I have all the parts. Maybe I could get the use of that tool and keep it as a spare.
If you want to send me the bolt, you pay postage both ways and I'll do it free for you. ;)

Email me if you want at........ Reflectionswfp@yahoo.co.uk

colley614

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:53:05 pm »
Problem is I've bent the handle on the bolt

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:04 pm »
Problem is I've bent the handle on the bolt
If its the one I'm thinking of (Thule) then you can buy just the replacement bolt?
Have a look on there website.

The handle is just a little squire isn't it? if so then thats not really a problem, and you could still send it if you wanted to.

colley614

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:29:38 pm »
Its the halfords one I've got. I suppose I could still use it just without the handle

matt

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:11:19 pm »
Jeff

are you also doing metal work, as i want some round metal disks cut :)

chrismroberts

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:41:56 pm »

Good to hear about the contract mate! That a commercial job or big domestic place? Good stuff  :)

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:02:16 pm »
Jeff

are you also doing metal work, as i want some round metal disks cut :)

What type of disks are you after Matt, I don't do a lot of cutting (to much like hard work Lol) unless it fits in my cutter.
I do scroll work and welding, I mademy own  Trailer and my own ladder racks for it and if I ever get a van, I'll do my own tank staps and pole carriers.

Any bending or cutting of large metal, I take to my mates fabrication shop and get him to do it for me.

LWC

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 07:59:05 am »
mate, i used to work for halfords

halfords roofbars are the old thule make, if your local store knows anything, which it probably doesnt, they can ring thule and replace part free of charge

you really should ask...and they really should know

i went on a training course with thule when i was there and he said this isnt a problem

even if they cant get it for free, its not gonna be that much. get them to ring thule  ;)

colley614

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:40:24 pm »

LWC thanks for your response mate. Actually thanks for all your responses lads!

LWC

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:13:27 pm »
no problem, give them a call

if you cant ill try sort it for you  ;)