Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

George P

£2.00 FOR 7 WINDOWS
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:13:54 pm »
recently had shop cancelled as someone going to do his shop in nottingham for £2.00 6 days a week = 7 large windows + shutter door (door takes nearly 10mins alone) i know some like to undercut but this is just silly

Sir Squeaky

Re: £2.00 FOR 7 WINDOWS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:49:57 pm »
I'll do it for £1.50.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »
recently had shop cancelled as someone going to do his shop in nottingham for £2.00 6 days a week = 7 large windows + shutter door (door takes nearly 10mins alone) i know some like to undercut but this is just silly
I would ask the person cleaning the windows for that price if they wanted a job, and I would pay them more than they are charging.

George P

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:55:51 pm »
thought of offering them a job, they only underpriced to keep us out of ther area, i dont think they liked the idea of a sign written van on THERE PATCH 3 times a week :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 05:35:02 pm »
thought of offering them a job, they only underpriced to keep us out of ther area, i dont think they liked the idea of a sign written van on THERE PATCH 3 times a week :)

If a new W/C appeared in the town centre near me, one of the existing W/Cs used to clean a job free of charge until he went away.  He has retired now though.

clear-view

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 05:38:46 pm »
Must have been some door to have took ten minutes was there where the jolly green giant shops

colley614

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:01:15 pm »

I don't go near the shops in my town centre. The politics down there are much too complicated for my liking. I picked up a bed shop down there at christmas to be done 3 times a week. It was horrible getting questioned about everything.
 " How much you charging?" "Thats my business!"
" Are you insured?" " Of course!"
" Want to buy some shops?" " What £20000, for £200 a weeks worth of work. No thanks mate!"

There is about 6-7 different lots of lads down there and within about 3 months I'd seen the hand bags out enough times to want to get out of there. Some of the people down there were potential stomach ulcer type of stressed over losing their work. I couldn't hack that, worrying that if just once I missed a day eight other guys would be canvassing my work ' Just in case.' I remember one guy telling me that the other self employed window cleaner hadn't had a day off in about 16 years.

Whats the point.

matt

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:38 pm »

I don't go near the shops in my town centre. The politics down there are much too complicated for my liking. I picked up a bed shop down there at christmas to be done 3 times a week. It was horrible getting questioned about everything.
" Want to buy some shops?" " What £20000, for £200 a weeks worth of work. No thanks mate!"

There is about 6-7 different lots of lads down there and within about 3 months I'd seen the hand bags out enough times to want to get out of there. Some of the people down there were potential stomach ulcer type of stressed over losing their work. I couldn't hack that, worrying that if just once I missed a day eight other guys would be canvassing my work ' Just in case.' I remember one guy telling me that the other self employed window cleaner hadn't had a day off in about 16 years.

Whats the point.

because comercail is the holy grail of the window cleaning world  ::), if you havent got at least 10 shops your not a real window cleaner  ::)

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:45:28 am »
Years ago in Harrow the shop windows were cleaned by a couple of rough criminal families the Sweeneys and the McCanns who would beat up any window cleaner stupid enough to try and muscle in on their patch.
Today those families have gone from the town centre, but the blokes who do the shops now appear to have it all sewn up. I can see no way of getting a foot in the door.

George P

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 12:02:32 pm »
clear view it was a shuttern door with small time consuming windows, whole shop took about 1/2 hr

colley614

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 12:24:06 pm »

Whats the point.

because comercail is the holy grail of the window cleaning world  ::), if you havent got at least 10 shops your not a real window cleaner  ::)

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the commercial statement but for me toen centre shops are just a no go. I have a lot of shops outside the town centre but I wouldn't go near the town itself because of a.) The price other window cleaners charge is just daft and b.) I've been in other towns and had chats with other window cleaners on high streets who have been nice people but on my local high street you can expect an argument or full on questioning at least once a day!