Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

Struggling with wooden frames
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:09 pm »
Hi All

I am pretty new to window cleaning and WFP and still on the learning curve. Generally I am ok with PVC frames and just scrub and rinse well. Get the odd bit of spotting but it is getting less and less.

My problem is with wood windows. After I have cleaned the glass and rinsed well, dirt seems to be smeared on the top of the pane, seems to be coming from the top frame. I do try to keep both the brush and the jet away from the frame but must be hitting them somewhere. Did one this morning and wasn't at all happy with it. Admittedly it was a first clean but I had to go over them again, I couldn't leave them in the state they were.

Any hints or techniques for wooden frames?

Thanks

David

AJ

Re: Struggling with wooden frames
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »
for a first clean especially on wooden frames, expect to do them at least twice before they come up good. do them, let them dry (this gives time for some of the muck to run out) then do them again. trial and error i'm afraid.

Helen

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:56 pm »
David, are the frames well maintained or not. If they are "flaky" you will probably get this most times you clean. Sometimes even with well maintained frames the same can happen, it depends ojn what they have been or not treated with.Tips would be to turn your flow pressure right down when doing these, keep away from the frames, this does take practise to do that and rinse rinse rinse. You may have to go back and check when they have dried off. It might just turn out that WFP is not the best method/alternative for these an you will have to use another method :)

jimnjon

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:03:39 pm »
I'm doing a house the afternoon, which has wooden frames. I,ve cleaned it trad until now, so today will be first wfp. The paintwork is fairly good, but I am concerned as to how it will turn out. Will let you know how it goes.

davids3511

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:17:23 pm »
The painwork is pretty ok. It flakes a little but isn't bad at all really. I will just have to be more careful with teh flow rate.

Thanks all for the advise

David

jimnjon

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:29 pm »
I'm doing a house the afternoon, which has wooden frames. I,ve cleaned it trad until now, so today will be first wfp. The paintwork is fairly good, but I am concerned as to how it will turn out. Will let you know how it goes.

Just done it. I did the top frames first and then went back doing the windows, not touching the frame. I then checked them all. Three ( out of 25) needed re-doing. I was pretty happy with the result. It turned out that they had been wfp'd before and she wasn't happy with the result. Turns out the guy did them once and never came back!
Off to a wedding do. No windows tomorrow ;D ;D

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:00:20 pm »
I haven't had any problems with flakey paint windows but i do a few of those black looking barn conversions with thick oak frames.
1 is a nightmare. I have done it about 8 times now and i have to detail several windows after to get them good.
I just whip round with a microfibre after i have finished. Most of the windows are dry by the time i've finished so it doesn't take long.
I'm looking forward to the day i go round and they are good.
Once they come up ok the 1st time, they should always be good after that.

Skyglide

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:27:09 pm »
We find WFP and wooden frames are always a problem. When targeting work we only go for UPVC, never wood. However most new build has wood and it's surprising how many houses still have wood frames so yes we still do them.
WFP strips paint and stain off, makes nails and hinges rust and whatever you do to them there is always a bit of uncertainty about results.  Added to this what do you do in a year or so's time when they need re decorating? Prior to WFP they would last for years.
If you can afford to be choosey always stick to UPVC.
Chris

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:36:42 pm »
We find WFP and wooden frames are always a problem. When targeting work we only go for UPVC, never wood. However most new build has wood and it's surprising how many houses still have wood frames so yes we still do them.
WFP strips paint and stain off, makes nails and hinges rust and whatever you do to them there is always a bit of uncertainty about results.  Added to this what do you do in a year or so's time when they need re decorating? Prior to WFP they would last for years.
If you can afford to be choosey always stick to UPVC.
Chris
answer this please Christies: how can pure water damage a frame, damage a window that has been cleaned with chemicals etc, I would really love to know this answer because if water is pure how the hell can it damage something as there is nothing in it to damage.

I am unsure what this responce will be but hopefully I and very one else can learn from it, the stage is now yours:

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 11:53:11 pm »
Sorry Chriss but i dn't agree.

If the windows are well maintained & painted properly then no problems.

If the wood is primed & under coated properly the brush wont damage the paint. If the paint is lifting or loose then of coarse the brush will or could remove paint but then the paint is loose so this is not the fault of Wfp.

Macc

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:32:46 am »
Sorry Chriss but i dn't agree.

If the windows are well maintained & painted properly then no problems.

If the wood is primed & under coated properly the brush wont damage the paint. If the paint is lifting or loose then of coarse the brush will or could remove paint but then the paint is loose so this is not the fault of Wfp.

Macc
GOT TO BE THE QUESTIONS OR PEOPLE THAT DO NOT KNOW AND MAYBE PEOPLE THAT DO KNOW A LITTLE:

HOW ARE YOU MEANT TO KNOW IF THE WINDOW FRAME HAS BEEN UNDERCOATED???????????????

Helpfl answer would be good, i never stand there thinking to myself (right that ones had undercoat, then a light coat, then the full coat) come on.........

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 01:03:58 am »
The primmer i have no answer to but you can see though the gloss so if it's a nice solid white under the gloss it's a goog indication it's undercoated then you can assume its primmed.

Even if a house has just been repainted just running your eyes over the finnish will tell you if its done proper or a slap over job.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 02:42:09 am »
The primmer i have no answer to but you can see though the gloss so if it's a nice solid white under the gloss it's a goog indication it's undercoated then you can assume its primmed.

Even if a house has just been repainted just running your eyes over the finnish will tell you if its done proper or a slap over job.
so on WFP work, please let me know how on a third story your meant to see this..

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 03:26:42 am »

so on WFP work, please let me know how on a third story your meant to see this..

Just clean them,  ;D

Skyglide

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 11:15:21 am »
Hi Windowwashers
We use the old flocked Vikans and the new monofilament Vikans, none of which damage wooden frames. It's the pure water that leaches oils from putty, strips paint layers down over time and strips stained wood.
 I agree if the paint is applied properly it will last a lot longer, but panel pins and hinges will show accelerated signs of rusting with pure water.
Most properties have a lick and a promise paint job which deteriorates quickly.
We are by the coast and salt plays an important part.
We use proper quality resin after Merlin RO so we're not cutting corners and producing water with carbonic acid content.
As I said earlier in my post, what do you do long term when the customer has to paint more often? We get round it by saying modern paint without the lead doesn't have the staying power like the old stuff. But overall we are not happy doing wooden frames with WFP and would rather see them done trad. Trouble is my chaps earn too much WFP and won't go back to trad so we always target UPVC.
Chris