Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

d s windowcleaning

taking the p*ss
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:33:15 pm »
just been out to do a one off clean on a factory in a secure compound it took around a hour to get there only to find the compound locked up  with a note in the security office window  can you call back on sunday as security as had to go to the hospital what a joke so i drive back which took over a hour to find a message on me answer phone asking why id not turned up to do the work i got on the phone and said id been and the guard had gone to the hospital + a note was left for me to go on sunday it turns out the security guard was fast asleep in the cabin so ive wasted petrol & my time and been told i wont get paid further travel expense if i decide to go tomorow all because of a tired security guard i dont no if i will go tomorrow as it was only a one off job but it was a job that could lead to bigger & better things what would you do after being p*ssed about
where theres muck theres money

simon knight

Re: taking the p*ss
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:49:58 pm »
Good security guard!

I'd insist on double travel expenses or I'd tell them to stuff it!

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:10:06 pm »
Send an invoice for the travel expense and your time regardless of doing the job tommorrow.

ronnie paton

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:33:25 pm »
If the job is decent paying(and should be doing it on a sunday) and could lead to lots more work i would bite the bullet.

Some times you have to put a bit more into jobs to get lots more out !!

dave0123

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:48:19 pm »
How about go back and to the work!! and the invoice them the said amount and add on 20% for working sunday! as sunday was not the day arranged... it is a sunday ??? 

Dave
Dave.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 03:42:59 pm »
If it is a well priced job I would go back, as they will no you are reliable.
I would call them and say I will be there Sunday but if no access happens again I will have to bill you for the loss of time and expensive for the wasted journey as I have to travel for over an hour to get there. I will call when I arrive.

Or you could ring up and  say your working on Sunday rates are  1 1/2 times the normal cost and ask if thats ok then see what they say.

Whatever you do, do not let them dictate to you.  ;)

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 04:06:29 pm »
ive been thinking about this and i am going to go and do it its just the fact that i priced for working today at £90 for around 3 1/2 hours which included my travel i only think its fair that i should get paid for my travel ive done today but the owner says not im only going to go as where factory is situated there is a lot more being built and as far as im aware no other window cleaners go there so i could get a shot at them but icant get it out of my head that i wont get paid for todays travel  thres one thing i could allways break in when the security is asleep lol

archercleaningserv

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:27:50 pm »
I would want £30 per hour atleast travel expenses.

Firstly you could earn that on normal work & then ontop youve got wear/tear on your vehicle & petrol ,

if i wasnt going to get that i would personally leave it, whats to say it wont happen again ?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:51:01 pm »
You may consider suggesting to them that whilst you were wasting your time on  Saturday on them you would otherwise have been working elsewhere, thus earning something. It HAS cost you lost income; measure their response and take it from there.

Elgin Sparrowhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 05:46:06 pm »
Is it really a genuine Job?? or is someone giving you the run around??

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 05:59:32 pm »
Normally I'd tell them to stuff it.
However, if there is a good business opportunity there for the future, I would take the view that there will probably be the chance to factor in my lost travel time/expenses on future quotes for them.
Not trying to tell you how to run your business, but after I had finished picking up my toys, there are two things I would probably try to do in such a situation.

1)   Introduce a list of terms and conditions with some reimbursement for non-access (can't do this retrospectively but this is for possible future difficulties).
2)   Obtain the mobile number of the security guard.
3)  Buy some boltcutters.

Maybe you should ignore 3)   :)   but the other two may be runners.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 07:41:57 pm »
yes its a genuine job elgin . im only wanting to do it so it maybe gets me a foot in the door for when all the other units around open up at the moment its only a one off job and to be honest the £90 i quoted is a bit more than what i normally would have charged . normally i only do domestics and ive been trying for some time to get into commercial work so im hoping this could be the break through ive been looking for . i did feel like i was being messed about but with the message on my answer phone i know im not . i take on board what you say shiner & in the morning i will take my boltcutters lol . as for non-access i was told security was on site and he  would let me in . i wasnt told he would be asleep on the job in all fairness to the guard hed probally done  a long shift i used to do part time on security so i no what the hours are like . but i will turn up tomorrow just on the chance of picking better work up

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 10:25:15 pm »
It's not a good beginning but if you believe that it could open doors for you professionally, then you are probably doing the right thing in not dumping them yet.
I do think you should present them with some sort of written terms and conditions for future reference. I would also try to renegotiate the price if you are called on to work sundays in the future.
I personally would make them aware my quote was based on mon - fri normal working hours and weekend work would be charged at a higher rate. That is unless you quoted knowing it would be saturday.
Good luck.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 02:43:59 pm »
yes i did quote for saturday as mon to fri is no go due to all other work being done ive been and done the job this morning and i will be seeing the boss tommorrow then i will be stood there face to face rather than over the phone  so i will see what happens then hopefully i minght get my travl time for yesterday but jobs done now lets just see if i get paid