Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Count Phil

Unger Carbon-tech
« on: August 13, 2007, 04:54:34 pm »
Does anyone know what this thing weighs? Not that I'm about to get one, just pure curiosity. Is it lighter than standard carbon poles or not?

Count Phil

Re: Unger Carbon-tech
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:46 pm »
I just found out it weighs 12kg. That sounds alot to me....

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:33:28 pm »
Well made though.

Count Phil

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:41 pm »
Ok, at least it was a reply :)

Got to be an in betweenie kinda weight...

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:40:08 pm »
From Pros.
UNGER Carbon Tec provisional weights, thanks to Chris
goose neck and 16 inch brush weighed 2 pounds and 1 section weighed a little under 2 pounds  so 10x 6ft 60ft pole sections weigh 20lbs + brush assembly= 22lbs/9.9kg

Count Phil

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:47:31 am »
So at 30ft it will be around 5.5kg? That's not very light at all..... Thats glass fibre territory. That sounds heavy for well over a grand.......  I'm sure my 30 ft multipole is around that and that weighs a ton when working with it . Oh well, no wonder they don't post the weights anywhere...

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:57:15 am »
As I said before it is well made though.....but that's all I can recommend it for.

The gooseneck and brush arrangement weigh about 700g on it's own. Each section not only is made of Carbon fibre but also has an insulating wrap of fibre glass and resin (not that this will do any good if you hit the aluminium head on a wire as it will travel down the water and electrify the aluminium connection on each section, chances are you will get fried anyway), you then have a very solid aluminium connector top and bottom of each section.

I tried one out with just a few sections connected and found that it was overly heavy and not as stiff as could be hoped for. It does offer you the ability to have just one pole in your vehicle though (you would need a big van to hold it in it's holdall). I think that I had worked out that a 45ft would weigh about 9kg.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:17 pm »
forget it, buy this instead. I spoke to them the other day and Unger tried to buy their design but they refused to sell. The are made from kevlar and carbon, the water travels up the sections similar to the Unger, the man told me they have never had any complaints about it and just look at the specs, they cost £1300 for a 45ft one, so I will be waiting for Gardiners new superlite!

http://www.carbonized.co.uk/catalog.html

Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:04:08 pm »
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Count Phil

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:49 pm »
Hmmmm. Actually, the carbonized on is several hundred pounds cheaper than the unger one.

I wonder what that weighs? on their website it weighs xxx.

I was expecting 7ish kgs for the full pole. But over 9 is rubbish for that money. You could buy like five fishing poles.

Count Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:34:34 pm »
Oh. The carbonized is about 6.9kg for 15metres so its over two kgs lighter than unger, has the same benifits and is cheaper. But still alot.

macmac

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 07:49:36 pm »
Forget them all, any modular, unless you are working on jobs like in the pics, thats all they are good for. domestic? nooooooooooo way.

tony

Count Phil

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:02:29 pm »
I prefer them, except on a few jobs. Even on domestic. Saves so much time once you get the hang of them.