Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Hindsight
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:09:56 pm »
Would I have started this this job if I had known the weather prediction, how hard it is to build a thriving round and how fickle customers can be. Probably not!

cybersye

Re: Hindsight
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:45:03 pm »
yes, but how many people in this day and age can say they work for themselves, when they want to , name their price and be happy in their work? Sure there can be downsides to it but would you ever go back to working for someone else? I could never do that again!

Davew

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »
No I agree with you there. However sitting here looking out of the window at the torrents of rain and checking my bank balance I need convincing! The good news though is I'm having quality time with my youngest daughter - brilliant! :)

Richy L

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:00:10 pm »
i have been doing this for 6 years and have never missed so much work. its just one of those things. its not usually this bad, honest!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 01:07:20 pm »
I'm in the southeast and it's even been quite wet here too.  I've just put on a thicker skin and worked through it - unless it gets really bad.  The thicker skin is to help me with customers who might object - not to withstand the rain.

Davew

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 01:21:15 pm »
Well I would call it really bad here!

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:42:01 pm »
Yes i would. I'm in the South & since i switched all my work has been done on time every 4 weeks.  ;D

On with the water proofs & work. The wet days are the best as my custy's offer no end of coffee's, the few that moaned were dumped on the spot.

This is the best empolyment going, i work how i want, when i want & it works for all my custy's.

I've had a few that have tryed to get back on my round but no chance, they had theirs & blew it.

Macc

pylofm

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:37:33 pm »
MACC thats how I want to be when I am in the position....firm but fair to me and the customers... ;D

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »
MACC thats how I want to be when I am in the position....firm but fair to me and the customers... ;D

Hi Pylofm.

You have always come across to me as a fair bloke, the time will come but untill it does dont let them walk over you as they will push it.

Macc

colley614

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 03:54:22 pm »
Yeah for example. I had a job that took 2 hours and it came in a batch of work were the neighbourhood warden type person phoned me when their old window cleaner packed in. Anyway long story short the other houses let me price theirs for myself but this one guy was adamant that the old guy only took half an hour and he paid him £8. I did it and it took me 2 hours so I took the £8 and thought there must have been something wrong with the way I was doing them. So I tried again the next month with a different approach and still it took 1 1/2 hours. I has a word with the guy about the price and he laughed and said " No I'm paying £8, thats it" So I said I'd leave it then. He replied with I'll leave you to think about it. I finished with " Well there is nothing to think about on my side." The next month I pulled up in the road and seen him running towards me like a mad man. First he agreed to my new price then he told me the other guys rubbed them with an old rag and that was it. So sometimes when your adamant that you are right stick by your decision !

billozz

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 06:43:42 pm »
Yeah for example. I had a job that took 2 hours and it came in a batch of work were the neighbourhood warden type person phoned me when their old window cleaner packed in. Anyway long story short the other houses let me price theirs for myself but this one guy was adamant that the old guy only took half an hour and he paid him £8. I did it and it took me 2 hours so I took the £8 and thought there must have been something wrong with the way I was doing them. So I tried again the next month with a different approach and still it took 1 1/2 hours. I has a word with the guy about the price and he laughed and said " No I'm paying £8, thats it" So I said I'd leave it then. He replied with I'll leave you to think about it. I finished with " Well there is nothing to think about on my side." The next month I pulled up in the road and seen him running towards me like a mad man. First he agreed to my new price then he told me the other guys rubbed them with an old rag and that was it. So sometimes when your adamant that you are right stick by your decision !
i find it amazing that you accepted £8 for 2 hours work, or even 1 1/2 hrs work however you were doing them you cant work for that long for that ammount of money you wouldnt be able to eat
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

colley614

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 06:48:07 pm »
I just thought I just had my method wrong and I was doing it as a bit of overtime and the other houses in the road well made up for it. All together I collected £88 for   6 houses.

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:00:28 pm »

Fair play to you. I would have walked, he sounds like trouble.
Telling you how much he will pay.
Whatever next?? ???