Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marigold

Flats - Stairs, stairwells landings etc
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:27:38 pm »
Hi guys,
Just been asked to quote on a block of 14 flats to clean public areas stairs, stairwells, landings, int. windows, and bin area.  Haven't got a clue what to charge.  Do I charge time, or numbers.  Also, what kind of health and safety do I need if any.  I currently insure my cleaners under a cleaning agency insurance as I'm only an agency with self employed cleaners.  Can I do this in the same way?   Will this be enough or do I need extra?  This is a new area for me.  I know the client is going to ask the myriad of companies in this area - South East, but I'd love to get it.  I don't want to be greedy, just want to cover the costs and then some for me.  What do you think?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Very best wishes
Marigold

Bertie Boo

Re: Flats - Stairs, stairwells landings etc
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:34:32 pm »
Marigold

when i lived in a block of 12 flats (more than 6 years ago now) the cleaners did it in no time at all so i'd say charge by the job and not the time. Are they private or council flats? In private flats u always get at least one flat owner who 'helps' with the communal areas and gardens, i've yet to see a dirty private block of flats.......but that may not be universal.

I also recall that we had cleaners once a week for which our share of the yearly bill was astronomical (or so i thought), i know that the was no additional fee levied on the cleaning, that is to say the price on our statement of accounts was the price the cleaners charged with no additional charges from the managment (that was a seperate charge).

Stephen

Marigold

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:05 pm »
Any one else with some gems of advice.  I would appreciate it..  Please!

garyfindlay

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:09:30 am »
you charge per flat per visit, ie 20 flats x £2 = £40. i step through the cleaning process first time round to get an idea of how long it takes. the charge will also vary with area, whats being cleaned etc. I`ve got a method statement if you require it.

gmccleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:19 am »
Gary could u please send me your
method statement thanks very much

George   gmccleaning@aol.com

cleanimperial

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:05:18 pm »
Please would you send me one I would be very greatful

Thanks Fred  fredimpr@aol.com 

Lizzy

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:19:49 pm »
My cleaning business dealt purely in cleaning communal areas of council blocks of flats. 
These were 4 storys high with 11 flats in each.   We had no access to electricity or water so we had to do everything the old way (sweeping brushes, mops, etc).

We cleaned stairs, internal windows throughout, external communal windows on the ground floor, handrails, kickboards and communal bin area.
These flats were Druggie occupied and often had vomit, drug equipment and urine spread about.
We did 1 visit a week.........2 people took 1.5 hours to do each block = 3 hours.  We charged £75 per block.   That was over a year and a half ago.
Money was fab.  I worked 1 day a week and cleaned 5 blocks, invoicing £375 for the days work.  my staff was on £50 for the days work.

Hope this helps.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

cleanimperial

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:52:29 pm »
Hi Lizzy

How did you go about getting this type of work for the council.

Thanks Fred.

Lizzy

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:42 pm »
hmm.........how do I put this?

Cross the palm of the guy who dishes out the contracts with cash.

Actually, in our local council, all traders who are contracted in are suppose to be obtained through constructiononline.co.uk.   
To join them, you need to have a number of employees and be VAT registered.
I had neither.
Look in any jobcentre around here and they are screaming out for cleaners. I think this is why we were given the work without complying with the rules.  Also, it helps to know someone who knows the guy who dishes out the work.
I know its not really an answer that helps you, but its how I got the contract.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

cleanimperial

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:47 pm »
Thanks lizzy  :)

Marigold

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 01:20:40 pm »
Hi all.  Thanks for the info and yes I got the jobthanks to all your help.   Would love your method statement Gary please   dustershomecleaners@msn.com

Love Marigold

garyfindlay

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 10:39:42 pm »
sorry about the delay.....

wwwmadmary.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,21.0.html