Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Heat shrink insulation
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:43:14 am »
Can anyone point me in the right direction for some of this for my carbon poles please? My superlight has it fitted to the base section (a section I normally use the least) and I'm becoming more and nore concerned about overhead cables. Although hardly anyone else is.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Heat shrink insulation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:32:24 pm »
Buy a glass fibre Zensorflex and just fit one or two of the non conducting sections in between wherever you want, tested to 1000v £18.99
Buy some CE kite mark electrical gloves for wet/damp days.

Davew

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:41:34 pm »
If I was to use the glassfibre section as the base all the time will this offer any protection?

Luke Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:01:36 pm »
where can you buy that insulation?

Helen

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:06:51 pm »
How many times does this subject come up?
Don't carry extended poles around.
Don't work in thunder/lightening
Look around the property first before starting for any probs.
Doesn't matter what the poles are made of, we are splashing water around which is a damned good condutor of electric. Chances are your gloves are going to get wet too so next to kitting yourself out in something similar to a NAASA space suit you're doomed.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 06:15:15 pm »
Disagree about the doom and gloom aspect but Helen I understand where your coming from. Its like saying cleaning  windows off a lader is ok as long as you dont fall off. I think there are many more newbies coming along and asking similar questions.

Always do yourself a safety assesment, if your worried stick in a couple of insulating sections any where on the pole and if necessary use gloves.
There have been no fatalities in the UK ( wow,thats one big statement ! ) reported ones are from the USA. The alternative is to go back to ladders  ??? with the safety problems therewith.
Life is a challenge you cannot wrap your self in cotton wool.

Davew

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 06:29:44 pm »
Why get anoyed with this subject? seems to me to be one of the only disadvantages of wfp, I only want to limit any dangers to myself the rest of you who are immune to electricity fair enough. If you don't ask how else would you find out?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 06:35:21 pm »
Why don't you ring the suppliers of your Super-Lite and ask if they can supply you with some. If you buy it off the shelf from the manufacturers you have to buy a minimum of 60 meters!

Davew

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 06:51:44 pm »
Looks like I'll be phoning you then Alex. I had a look on your site but couldn't see it thought someone would have a link.

paul saunders

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 07:49:02 pm »
Try maplin, the last time I looked they had it there ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 07:53:03 pm »
Hi Dave

It's not on the website - give Kirsty a call and leave a message for what you want and she'll arrange it.  The Maplin stuff is far too small.

dai

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:04 pm »
Pure water can not conduct electricity. It can only travel through the ions. I guess it depends on how clean your pole is. Dai

paul saunders

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
Just trying to help.  ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:15:54 pm »
Pure water can not conduct electricity. It can only travel through the ions. I guess it depends on how clean your pole is. Dai

I'm going to try that out, don't blame me when my family sue