Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul mather

Re: Setting up WFP?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 07:25:45 am »
Thanks for replys and info guys

I found this 1 on ebay aswell - must admit it don't look as tidy as freedoms system but is a bit closer to my home what do you reckon to it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PURE-WATER-FED-POLE-SYSTEM-READY-TO-GO-CUSTOM-BUILT_W0QQitemZ220123877939QQihZ012QQcategoryZ112579QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

also what do I go for a D I system or R O system - which do you guys use and why?

Im still trying to get grips with all this lot so bear with me lol 

Here are the facts, unless you are one of the lucky ones who live in a very soft water area such as the South West or the highlands of Scotland you will probably need both a D I & an R O.
An Ro will bring your TDS reading down to a reasonable figure but you then need a DI Cannister filled with Resin to polish off the water to get it to around zero.
 R O Machines are designed to run with very little need for regular service( apart from changing the filters every 3 - 6 months), ie they don't require anything to be added to them, whereas a DI Cannister needs its Resin replacing on a regular basis. If your TDS was say an average of 250 & you just used a D I system you would need to get through so much Resin that it would cost you a fortune.
So most guys on here would use a combination of both, thats what I do & I haven't had to change my resin for about 4 months now.

The other basic thing you need to consider is how you want your system setting up, there are quite a few different options & lots of different opinions as to which way is best. To keep it simple you can have a garage based system where all your purification takes place in a garage or outbuilding, the water is stored in an IBC Tank & then pumped into a tank in the van each day or you can go for a van based system where all your purification actually takes place inside the van, so you fill your tank up with tap water & then it cleans it as it goes along. There are also combinations of both systems as well.

If all this sounds terribly confusing give me a ring & I will try to talk you through it. (Mob 07977 517914)

By the way the guy who is selling the system on Ebay is taking an awful risk installing IBC tanks inside vehicles. You really should use a baffled tank to stop the water sloshing around, plus most vehicles we use do not have a 1000kg payload anyway.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Wrekin C S

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 01:27:31 pm »
Thanks for the help paul im understanding it more now - the system supplied by pure freedom comes with both Deionisation Vessel & Merlin on demand RO system - thats what your saying I need isn't it -

also it comes with everything else i need - and as cybersye mentioned earlier i'd probably only be saving a couple of hundred pounds by going the diy route plus I aint too clued up on it -

so if I went for freedoms system it comes with full intructions and telephone backup - i just gotta decide do I take my van 170miles and get them to install it or do it myself?  :-\

paul mather

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »
There is one thing that I would be careful of & that is to get reassurances that Mr McCanns on demand set up will produce pure water quick enough to give your pole enough pressure to get a good flow. When I was looking into buying an on demand system I was told some of them aren't that great, so be careful.

I suppose it's easy for me to say as I now know how it all works, but I would not waste money on a ready made set up & pay for installation. I would make a list of exactly what I need & shop around for it & install it myself, it's really quite simple you know.

And if you have installed it yourself you then have more idea how to solve problems when they inevitably arrive. However the choice is yours, but if you need any help you know where I am.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

brightnclean

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:41 pm »
Referring to what Alex Gardiner has said he gave up doing Fit yourself systems because of the amount of time that had to be given in supporting those who had bought them. I think that says it all really. If you have it fiited its all done, set up and tested ready to drive away by people who know what they are doing. OK if you have time, the tools and the knowledge and are prepared to tinker about until everything is right then fine. It WILL take you longer and you are far more likely to get teething problems.

If you can leave it to the pro's to fit. It pays for itself many times over in the long run.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 04:58:35 pm »
Referring to what Alex Gardiner has said he gave up doing Fit yourself systems because of the amount of time that had to be given in supporting those who had bought them. I think that says it all really. If you have it fiited its all done, set up and tested ready to drive away by people who know what they are doing. OK if you have time, the tools and the knowledge and are prepared to tinker about until everything is right then fine. It WILL take you longer and you are far more likely to get teething problems.

If you can leave it to the pro's to fit. It pays for itself many times over in the long run.

I had a system fitted by a pro and I still got teething problems that I needed to sort out with little support.  I would have had problems if I'd done it myself but it would have been a lot cheaper.

Simon.

brightnclean

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 05:22:06 pm »
Yeah I agree with you to a point Simon.

All I was doing was using Alex Gardiner's experience to illustrate a point. Knowing what I know now I COULD fit a system myself but in all honesty I would much rather just take a van and let someone else do it. I am busy enough as it is without having to spend a few days under and in a van cobbling a system together. Those of us with systems could probably quite easily do it OK but I would rather have the peace of mind and less hassle by getting someone else to do it. As long as it is at a reasonable price. I still say you are less likely to get probs and if you do they will most probably only be minor ones that can be sorted out pretty fast without losing a lot of days work. Yes you could save a few quid at the start and could well make it pay off as long as you can do it properly. After all it aint rocket science but if you get it wrong it could be a right pain in the proverbials and also cost you a lot of lost earnings.

cybersye

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 08:06:28 pm »
Andy, what van do you have or considering?
There are several posts on here with pics of different van set ups if you look, may help you to decide.
Also do you need an on demand system in the van or do you have space to produce and store water at home? I think a static ro system is the way to go, less chance of it being damaged plus more room in the van and simpler to install. I only have a small ford courier van and 250ltr tank so was able to secure that myself quite easily. A 650 ltr tank may be safer installed by a supplier or somebody with the means and know how, all depends how handy you are. The rest though with a bit of thought and planning is pretty straight forward.
work out exactly what you need, then talk to a few suppliers, packages are good but they may be more or less than you need , most will come up with a price and system to suit you. Not wishing to confuse you any more but pure water is pure water! which ever the system diy or not. As many have said before the thing you'll notice most is the pole. The packages I see seem to scrimp on that bit! and thats what will make the most difference to your work. Not that I have decent poles, far from it! but thats where I shall invest next once my cheap glass fibres are worn out.
Simon

Wrekin C S

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 12:47:05 am »
Hi Simon

I have bought a Ford transit van on a Y -  2001 plate

I gave pure freedom a phone today Andrew McCann was off sick - however I spoke to 1 of the engineers there called Andrew Thompson and I told him that I was interested in buying a 650ltr van system and he suggested that I buy their trolley system as most of my work would be domestic and is easier to use and maneuver - also safer (less of a trip hazard with hoses n stuff) he reckons for domestic work the trolley system is the way forward - I didn't really get to ask any questions about the 650ltr system!

Bit confused as what to buy now?

mark dew

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:42 am »
Andy, i use a freedom trolley which i run to power a van mount system sometimes, but mostly i detach it and use it alone. I refill the 25 litre barrel from my main tank.
I work mostly domestics and i found i was saving time using the trolley on every job that required less than 25 litres of water. Which is 90% of my work.
I think the engineer is giving you good advice.
I have both and i prefer to use the trolley when practical. When i don't detach the trolley it is powering my van mount anyway.
It's horses for courses which you go for as there are lots of people on here happy using either.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 05:58:55 am »
Hi Simon

I have bought a Ford transit van on a Y -  2001 plate

I gave pure freedom a phone today Andrew McCann was off sick - however I spoke to 1 of the engineers there called Andrew Thompson and I told him that I was interested in buying a 650ltr van system and he suggested that I buy their trolley system as most of my work would be domestic and is easier to use and maneuver - also safer (less of a trip hazard with hoses n stuff) he reckons for domestic work the trolley system is the way forward - I didn't really get to ask any questions about the 650ltr system!

Bit confused as what to buy now?

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is whether you want to just buy the kit for the type of work you have now or for the type of work you are planning to get.  Personally I find that a van mount AND a trolley are fine - with the trolley getting not so much use these days.  However, if you just buy a trolley, it will still be useful for you if you upgrade later to a van mount.

brightnclean

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 07:32:55 am »
I also think you got good advice if your work is mainly domestic.

I started out with a full van mount and then bought the trolley for the awkward ones. I hardly ever use the hose reel now. I find it so much easier to use the trolley on most of my work for the reasons the engineer gave. Had I been starting out again and know what I know now I would have got the Freedom trolley system and then just added a smaller tank than the one I have and used the trolley to power it. I,ve recently taken on an employee and kitted him out in exactly that way and saved myself a fortune over the way I did it.

Wrekin C S

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:25 pm »
Thanks guys I might go for 1 of the trolley systems - if I was to get a tank at a later date what size should I get?

cybersye

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 07:08:33 pm »
as you've a transit then its not really an issue, a 650 ltr would be more than enough for one persons work.
I must say I like the idea of having a van tank powered by a trolley, best of both worlds! I guess you could just gravity feed your 25 ltr barrel for the trolley from the vans tank. It makes financial sense as well, get kitted with trolley system then all you need is spend a couple of hundred on a tank and straps at a later date.

Wrekin C S

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2007, 08:59:50 pm »
Sounds like a plan - looks like im heading in the right direction now thanks for all your replies and help  :) will order a trolley from freedom tomorrow and then I gotta work out how to setup tank in my garage for purification - no doubt i'll be asking for help on that 1 lol

Thanks again
Andy

paul mather

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:54 pm »
Hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do but why have a Transit & then buy a trolley system & have to mess about with 25 litre drums, it makes no sense at all!

I thought the only reason to mess about with drums would be your vehicle & it's ability to carry water, but you don't have that problem.

I've also been told that the build quality on these things are not great considering how much is charged for them, but it's your money!
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

brightnclean

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 09:23:36 pm »

I've also been told that the build quality on these things are not great considering how much is charged for them, but it's your money!

I and 3 others I know have these trollies and the build quality is superb. 

I am talking from 1st hand experience of owning and using one then buying another because it is such an asset to my business.

Wrekin C S

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 10:58:02 pm »
Hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do but why have a Transit & then buy a trolley system & have to mess about with 25 litre drums, it makes no sense at all!

I thought the only reason to mess about with drums would be your vehicle & it's ability to carry water, but you don't have that problem.

Hi Paul -

Im thinking of buying the trolley system to start with just to get me out there cleaning windows and building my business then at a later date upgrade to the tank this way I get the best of both - I am picking up customers every few days as people know im starting up again but have no way of cleaning em as I cannot use ladders anymore because I have a bad foot and had an op on it just a few months ago so thats a no-no for me  - I just need to get out there m8 or the custies I have already picked up might find another W/C!

With regards to build quality I havn't heard a bad word about the freedom trolley - I think its a little pricey for what it is but should pay for itself eventually - do you know someone who has had problems with the trolley because I dont like the thought of parting with a grand only to find out its a pile of rubbish!

LMK  :)

Wrekin C S

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »
I phoned Pure Freedom again today - and discussed what I need to setup - gonna go for the trolley system but am upgrading to the 300 gpd ro ready for when I get a tank for my van - they also throwing in a hose tidy, pole flow contol valve, and Ten water drums all for £1150 inc VAT and DEL. A good deal me thinks  ;)
Can get a water butt from local B&Q or something

Is there anything else I need to buy with this lot berfore I go ahead and order?

mark dew

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 02:09:00 am »
a large water tank, submersible pump and battery to run and refill 1 x 25 litre barrel would make your life so much easier.
Go for a static tank in your van + 1 x 25 litre barrel. The rest sounds good.