Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

Who does painting?
« on: June 25, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »
I know this isn't really to do with window cleaning, but i was hoping a few window cleaners may do some painting on the side.

One of my customers as asked me to paint all her fascia/ soffets.
I will need to jet wash it all first to get rid of all the loose paint, then paint it all after(a few days after, when its all dry)

The problem is, i dont know how much to charge, and how long it will take, not to mention how much the paint will cost.

There is about 75 - 80ft of fascia/soffets. And they are all easily accessable by ladder.

i dont want to charge by the hour, i would just like to put one price in for it all.
Can anyone help me, and give me some kind of idea please, it would be a nice litle job to do really.

Thanks in dvance

Richy

Alex Wingrove

Re: Who does painting?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:27:32 pm »
dont pressure wash it first,

just get some sand paper, good stuff, and rub it down otherwise it will look rubbish, you need woodfiller for the rotten bits or stuff with holes, undercoat and then gloss, i think that would take me about 2-3 days, and i would charge 550-650 without looking,

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:06:22 pm »
It really depends on the condition of the soffet's and fascia's. as it is the prep that takes the time.
As alex has said, don't bother with a pressure washer, you'll risk damaging woodwork. You have WFP don't you??
Use that to wash down with, either that or a bucket & sponge and sugar soap.

Washing down IS important.

God....it would take a while to really go into detail of what you should be doing (and I do know what I'm talking about, prior to window cleaning I was apprenticed - properly apprenticed over 5 years I might add - and also ran my own company for several years.)

to be perfectly honest, if your skill level is DIY then give it a miss, there is so much more to painting than a bit of sandpaper, a tin of paint and a brush!

honestly Rich, unless you know what you are doing you will do an amateur job.

For a pro, fascia's & soffetts on say a standard semi would be about 2 days tops....though that might be spread over 3 days cause of drying between coats and so on.

A morning of prep (washing down, sealing & priming, sanding etc) 2 to 4 hours undercoating then the same for glossing.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Richy L

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:19:54 pm »
The lady that wants me to do it, asked me because im "local", well, she's a neighbour of my inlaws.

i just thought it would be good to do for a bit of a change. Could  you really tell if a pro didnt do it? i mean its all high fascia, not much to be seen from the ground. I've done a bit of interior painting, when ive done up my last couple of houses, and i do a lot of "fine art" in my spare time, so im no stranger to a brush.

So would you say £500 is a fair price?

JohnL

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:14:25 pm »
Maybe, and maybe for a pro but you are an amateur!
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:59:18 pm »
oh i failed to mention i know what im doing too just read what i wrote, sound like a right amateur

been doing it with my dad for about five years now on and off, not alot i dont know how to do

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:00:19 pm »
Maybe, and maybe for a pro but you are an amateur!

but its painting, you can hardly do it wrong really!
i mean, i told her i dont do painting usually, so if i tell her that, she cant really complain.

i no i have to sand it down first, then prime it, then gloss it. Ive done all that to doors and skirting board loads of times in my houses. Can it really be much different doing it to fascia?

matt

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:03:49 pm »
funny enough i was asked to do a house last week

its a 4 bed detatched and i said about 1 K for a nice job, the guy said " oh thats not bad, i had a estimate and it was 1800 "  :o :o

i thought it would take me 4 days to do

ive done alot of fascia repairs as a carpenter, and then had to U/C and then gloss

as its high up, you cannot really tell if its a " Top notch job ", imho the main thing is the paint stays on the wood for a few years ;)

a saying in the building game, if you can Pi$$, you can paint

of course i disagree completely  ;) ;)

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 11:07:17 pm »
Richy,

Who dares wins, mate.

I've a ladder stand-off if you want to borrow it.  All I charge is a quality bottle of red wine and a promise to return it - intact - by a certain date.

It'll make the job easier; safer too; and give you somewhere to hang your bucket.

I'd lend you my Rojak too, but it's been nicked or I've left it in someone's back garden somewhere!

Richy L

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »
cheers tosh, that good of you mate!
If she's up for the job ill take you up on that!

Ill hopefully get an answer today,