Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Majestic

American Veteran window washer killed by fall
« on: June 21, 2007, 08:53:17 pm »

LEE COUNTY:
 A worker cleaning windows at Sanibel Harbor Resort died Friday morning when he fell eight stories.

Tom Kott was training another worker, Marty Gasber, when the accident happened.

The two men were on the roof around 8:30 a.m. Gasber says Kott leaned back off the roof to start cleaning the windows.

He says the safety harnesses weren't properly hooked up and the emergency safety line never caught - Kott fell eight stories.

"It happened pretty quick. He went over the side and just went straight down. He tried to grab the ropes with his hand and his weight and the speed was just too much. I watched him go over. I saw his life line going and going. I was waiting for it to catch but he just went straight down," said Gasber.

He rushed to the ground and started performing CPR on Kott.

Emergency crews showed up minutes later and pronounced him dead.

It was Gasber's first day on the job.

"He was training me today, and I'm thinking he didn't pay attention. He failed to connect to the right ring on his safety harness," said Gasber.

According to the trainee, Kott had been a window washer for more than 30 years and lived in the area.

Kott's best friend, William Negron, says he has been on the phone all day giving other friends and family members the grim news.

"My phone has have been ringing left and right with friends and family members that are trying to get in touch with what's going on here in Fort Myers," said Negron. "He had been on higher sky rises bigger than that and he had no fear of heights he knew his job."

He was the operations manager for Orange Cleaning Service.