Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Radiator water marks?
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:22 am »
Hi all,
Got a regular customer of mine that I have done various jobs for over the last year. One of which was carpet cleaning to H/S/L (beige corded).
In the hall there were a few marks that looked like splashes or spills, she said she weren't sure exactly what they were and it appeared to her that the marks gradually appeared and started to get worse.
Anyway HWE cleaned, this was some months ago by the way, and marks appeared to go.
Few weeks later got another call saying the marks started re-appearing so agreed to go back to try and rid, this time she said she remembered that it might be radiator water as she had the radiator changed in the hallway just before my previous visit but hadn't noticed any marks after they had done.
Had another go at it with standard cleanser with no joy, tried a few different stain removers (forget which ones now) and eventually the marks appeared to go again and I asked her to keep me informed.
Got another call from her last week saying the marks were back again after a week or two.  >:(
Going to see her again on Thursday (just as well she is local) but see no point in throwing more stain removers at it if the marks are likely to re-appear again a week or two later.
Any ideas on how best to solve? Could it be the rad water has soaked through and keeps wicking up again after cleaning?
Like I said she has been a regular customer, 4 different services in the last year so I want to leave her satisfied, so to speak.  :P 
Any advice would be appreciated.

John Kelly

Re: Radiator water marks?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:15:40 am »
If it is radiator water it will have Iron Mould in it. You need to remove it with Rust & Iron Mould remover. You need to flush it out as well as you can.
Check that there is no ongoing leak. Maybe a slight weep from radiator valves or bleed nipple.
Shouldn't really be a problem. We do loads of these for British Gas.

Paul Simpson

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:21:40 am »
Thanks John. The marks aren't directly under radiator, a few feet away in fact, so if it is the Rad. water it is more likely when they took the old one off so no ongoing leak.
I have some rust remover that I will try. If that fails I guess I will have to tell her it means pulling up the carpet to investigate further.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
If its only a small area clean it then dry it off with a hair dryer on medium setting, This will prevent any wicking back.