Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Why do window cleaners pack up?
« on: March 31, 2007, 07:09:32 pm »
Several customers say they had a cleaner but he just hasn't shown up for ages. Some say they always come and go why is this - not enough money? the work's too hard? can't build a round? or just the weather?

shammy davis jnr

Re: Why do window cleaners pack up?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 07:22:43 pm »
all of the above i would think its a state of mind thing i think
sell your self short ,sell your customers short , sell your prices short,sell your time between cleans short ,
and your career in this game will be short ,
like i said  i think its a state of mind thing more than anything
dont get me wrong you do get natuaral wastage ie ill health retirements etc ...and just down right chansers
but the motivation does need to be good if you want to survive 
ive lasted 16 yrs and still enjoy it good and bad you will always get this though is what makes the good guys get bigger

windolene

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 07:41:51 pm »
Hi,

I have not turned up for some work since end of last year. Just grew tired of it. 

Kevin WINDOLENE.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 07:45:47 pm »
I think the places that get forgotton or get cleaned when we get round to it are the ones that are badly priced or awkward to do,i know i`ve got a couple i simply just doubled the price the trouble is they said that`s fine can you come more often.

Majestic

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 08:00:59 pm »
I think its 1 of 2 things
You priced it to low in the first place, or the window cleaner had trouble getting his money

tacky

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 09:55:09 pm »
prob picked up better priced work  or not enough work comming in  0r just had enough

Davew

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:28:31 am »
I had one customer just down the road from me who said she wanted hers done a couple of times a year! so its easy to see why she was dropped. Strangely I don't mind doing hers cos she's honest enough. It's the ones who agree to a five week contract then back out on the second clean and say "I'll phone you" that I will drop straight away.

pylofm

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:34:41 am »
I already have work that I have ear marked for 'release' due to my low pricing brain farts....

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 08:54:53 am »
This business has always been populated by casuals and part times who come and go. They only see it as a stopgap.

What can be more difficult to understand is why some WCs walk away from good rounds. I would love to know the real story behind why some of my customers previous window cleaners gave up. I have heard some strange tales.

I think a lot of cleaners find it hard to put up prices so they clean the customer for a few years then move on.

You have to wonder when you leaflet a road and only get one response from a lady who tells you she hasn't had a cleaner for ages. Why just her?

Davew

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:09:24 am »
Did one one the other day in a street well covered by cleaners, she said she hadn't been able to get one for five years!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 09:49:28 am »
mainly wc give up when winter comes,then come back for summer,or just give up
 because of the winter, :-\ cant hack it
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

colley614

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 10:19:01 am »
My old boss used to underprice his work and then give us 14 hours of work a day everyday and make out it was 8 hours worth. In the end none of the lads were eating and sleeping properly and we were all waiting for the phone call off him to ask Why wasn't this done and that work done. It was horrible spending your whole week on pins waiting for the phone to go.

simon knight

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 06:42:25 pm »

I think most people start window cleaning in the spring/summer with George Formby's song going through their heads and under the impression that it's easy dough. Those lovely, warm, long summer days with ladders over shoulder going from little semi to little semi (all in the same street) and sweet little old ladies offering cups of tea and bickies...yeah right ::).

Then comes Mr Winter :-[ and it's peeing down with rain and icy cold and yer freezing yer knuts off and yer customers are all grumpy and saying "not this time round thanks"....that's the time I reckon most wc's jack it in and the ladders get put away for the last time.