Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Ain't life a bi**h
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:58:34 pm »
Started my own round about four months ago. Got about £100 a week in work. spent my budget of £3000 on things I need vehicle, cleaning gear, phone, advertising, etc, etc. Just put 12 months mot and tax on my new car and today water starts pouring out and it starts over heating. So I filled it with water and limped it to the local garage at walking speed (With stops to fill water up again.)
Anyway head gasket has gone £500 they want. I haven't got 2 brass buttons to run together.

Worst thing is no car no work, no work no money, no money no head gasket.

colley614

Re: Ain't life a bi**h
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:06:14 pm »
Any Ideas where to get a cheap van?

ivesons mobile cleaners

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:34:10 pm »
hi

i would say buy the head gasket kit and do it your selfor get a mate to help you i do all the work on my cars or buy a haynes manual and have a go alot of the time it isn't that hard unless it is a new car then you have no option but to take it to the garage

regards paul ;)

colley614

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 08:42:44 pm »
I did ask that today. I'm quite handy with a spanner. But they said most of the money involved would be skimming the head as the water escaping will have cut a little slice in the aluminum head and just changing the gasket would cause the new one to go within weeks or months.

john tomkins

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 08:54:56 pm »
Any comeback from where you got the van from, although maybe that's why they sold it :-\

colley614

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 09:04:52 pm »
My old man Gave it to me last year and he never had a problem with it. He had it from new and had full service with it. Now its had it by the sounds of it. I have just got the money together for a wfp system but now it looks like I'll have to buy a van instead.  :'(

No chance of putting them ladders in the garage now :'(

davidpitts

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:35 pm »
Could you ring a few local engineering workshops to see if they could check the head to see if it needs skimming and if so how much would it cost.

mgba_78

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:11:58 pm »
Head may not need skimming, it will only have warpped if it really over heated you may be lucky, gaskets some times just fail over time, if thats the case just a clean up of the head and a new gasket set will cure.

Some garages will say skim the head whatever but this isnt always the case.

DIY is very possible and it will save you a lot of money if you go this route, head sets are cheap its the labour that will kill you.

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

colley614

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:45 pm »
I'll see what can be done with it tomorrow. Thinking about it now it might work out for the best if I do buy a van and then get my magnetic adverts on the sides plus I'll be able to apply for my 12 months tax back at almost £200 quid. I think it might help me after all.

ivesons mobile cleaners

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:25 pm »
hi

just after leaveing school i worked in a garage and we sent heads to be scimed just to cover our backs.  take the head off and see what have you got to lose apart from a couple of hour labour

regards paul

colley614

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:36:11 pm »
Is it an easy job taking the head from a dohc.

ivesons mobile cleaners

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 09:51:36 pm »
hi

in genral excluding newer cars it is quite simple you just need the make a note of where every thing goes and make sure you mark the timing belt with tipex on all the wheel the best thing to do is buy the haynes manual for your car and i will tell you what you need to do

regards paul ;D

colley614

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:56:54 pm »
cool. I will be able to borrow a haynes manual from my local car place. (I've spent a good few bob on rs parts over the last few years on my resto ;) ) So I'm kind of on first name terms with the owner i.e if I go in for windscreen wipers I get them for nothing.

marc

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:17:39 am »
how much did you get together for your wfp system ? might you be able to do that  a bit cheaper what part of the country you from ?

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 04:10:13 pm »
Worst thing is no car no work, no work no money, no money no head gasket.

I've been in a similar situation, but 'needs must as the Devil drives'; as they say.

So I bet you get it sorted.

You really need an emergency fund when your self-employed.

cleantech.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:08 pm »
whip the head off, turn it over and use the edge of a steel rule to check it.

if its flat, gasket in, bleed coolant turn key and go, if not it should only cost around £80 for a skim and pressure test.

so, gasket for £30 - £50, skim for £80, add in some time (which you have if you cant work), gfood wether (which were getting more and more of now), some choice sweary works, some oil and a filter, a timing belt and your good to rock.

haynes manual is a really good start BTW.
All posts by Justin @ Cleantech unless specified otherwise

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:41 pm »
What car and engine is it?
It's a game of three halves!

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 08:02:29 pm »
try k-seal on ebay you never lnow might work for u
regards
paul