Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Leaflets or Knocking?
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:03:02 pm »
I had an in depth conversation today with my business adviser and he was asking me the pro's and con's of both Leaflet drops and knocking door to door. I was just wondering what people opinions are on the matter. I like the ideas I've picked up on here already and am starting to put them into practice.   

russ_clark

Re: Leaflets or Knocking?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:07:28 pm »
I personally don't think much of either.
Signwritten van- smart uniform-do a good job.
Little adverts in local shop windows/ parish mags.
Always have a smile and a natter with the punters
and watch your business grow.
Just depends how quick you want it t o grow.
If I was starting again I would consider the roundbuilders
if I wanted it to grow quick.

colley614

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:12:42 pm »
Who are the roundbuilders and how do they work?

russ_clark

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »
There is acompany on this forum
rounbuilders or doorknockers or similar
that build up a round in your specified locations .
They charge obviously but have read some good views on them.
Never tried it myself though.
Have a search through the topics you will find some stuff i'm sure

brett walker

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:52 pm »

Signwritten van- smart uniform-do a good job.
Little adverts in local shop windows/ parish mags.
Always have a smile and a natter with the punters
and watch your business grow.
Just depends how quick you want it t o grow.
If I was starting again I would consider the roundbuilders
if I wanted it to grow quick.

as above perfect advice plus leaflets and knocking try every thing 8)

brett.

dave0123

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:05:20 pm »
Id mainly say both door nocking/leaflets

get on your uniform have a shave etc door nock! people who arent in post a leaflet? people who are unsure give a leaflet!

Dave
Dave.

rosskesava

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:54 am »
I'm setting myself up again after giving up being a partner of a successfull business.

I now have 30 odd customers in 3 weeks. All I did was leaflet. It's extremely boring and is hard on the legs but the ratio of customers gained to leaflets done is a certain fact. I've posted nearly 2000 leaflets this month.

I know that some people will not phone straight away. Some will phone next week, some will phone next month and some will even phone me in 6 months time.

I also know from experience that from the customers I now have, I will gain more from just being there each month. What makes the difference is where to leaflet. You have to think of the future. It's no good driving miles between customers. It's ok to drive miles for 10 customers but not just for one or two although when I began window cleaning, me and a mate did just that. Somethings are simply just experience.

Door knocking is ok and it does work but it's time consuming. I find door knocking boring but for most, it seems to be a step to far in the 'uncomfortable' zone.

The advise by Russ and especially about a sign written van is pure gold.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:27:42 am »
I agree with Russ too...but of course to begin with you have to go out and get the customers!
Once established, the sign written van and uniform pays dividends.

If you have the 'front' then a combination of leafleting and knocking on doors is the best way to go, particularly if you are on a tight budget.

Knock on doors, if they are in (get used to being looked at like you area piece of filth :-\) and offer your services, if they are not in then or have a window cleaner then leave a leaflet.
On those that are not in, pop back another time for a follow up call.

you have to cover as many bases as you can, not everyone can do it, the thicker your skin and the more you can 'ooze' sincerity ::) the better you will do.

Most prefer their work to be as compact as possible, but I personally prefer drive betweens...but having said that they also need to be the larger accounts, and even the smaller ones have to be well priced!!

If you are minted then go the roundbuilders or doorknockers way, they'll build you a round very much faster than you could possibly do yourself....

Or go Ross's way and leaflet drop, you will pick up work, and you won't have the stress of and strain of trying to sell yourself over and over again.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

colley614

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I like what you have told me best to keep an open mind and cover as many bases as possible. I am gonna do the old door knocking tomorrow and sunday maybe. Then when I've finished in the week do an hours leaflet dropping.

Thanks again guys I wish I could show you how much you guys have helped me. In about 3 days I have broke all my records, Daily earnings, new work coming in and setting a good example.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »
just to say good luck m8, and personally i have always found that knocking the doors and chatting to the peops with leaflet in hand works better than just putting a leaflet through the door. even if they say "no" i always give em a leaflet and say "keep this just in case" or mention that i also do gutter cleaning/clearing etc, apologise for the interruption of there time etc....manners go a long way!  ;)
when I'm cleaning windows

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:26:02 pm »
With hindsight I'd now place having a sign written van as a priority. I got my van sign written last Wednesday. Since then I've picked up 5 jobs from just having a phone number on the van and what I do. They are worth £70 a month.

I havn't bothered with a name. Just a simple 'window cleaner'.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 11:29:41 pm »
simple works best doesnt it! good on ya ross...i mean, it does exactly what it says on the tin, no confusion or wondering.....if someone sees it, they know what you do ;)
when I'm cleaning windows

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 07:11:02 am »
I have always preferred to leaflet and find knocking is demotivating. Had a reply this week from a lady in a street I leafleted nearly a year ago. Thats where leaflets win out.

When you knock you get a lot more people who say yes but drop out or mess you about later. When you get a response from a leaflet they are much more likely to be a customer that lasts because they take the trouble to phone you. 

ronaldo

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 08:21:02 am »
Ross, the van looks great mate, nothing flash just nice and simple, easy to read and stands out, perfect  ;)
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 08:27:31 am »
With hindsight I'd now place having a sign written van as a priority. I got my van sign written last Wednesday. Since then I've picked up 5 jobs from just having a phone number on the van and what I do. They are worth £70 a month.

I havn't bothered with a name. Just a simple 'window cleaner'.

Nice van Ross.
I prefer simplicity too as, with a van, the potential customer may only have a few seconds to see the details.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 08:54:29 am »
Yep, I agree with Shiner, keep it simple, people need to know what you do at a glance.

Love the signage Ross, and a nice smiley logo too 8)

Heres one of my van, bit of glare from the sunlight on though I'm afraid  :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

ronaldo

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:03:26 pm »
Same as Ross,s van nice and simple, very smart Ian,  ;)
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !