Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Lancaster

Re: should i poach it ?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 05:28:03 pm »
Whats with this "poaching" business?

If you were setting up a new round from scratch, you would go out and knock on doors.  It would always be an area where there is already at least one window cleaner working.  At every door you give your pitch - the householder says "sorry, I've already got a window cleaner" - you say thank you and go to the next door.

Occasionally one will say "how much would you charge?" - you give an honest quote for the price you would want to charge, it's unlikely to be less than their current w/c, so unless they're unhappy with his work they say "no thank you".

Exactly the same in this case.

Canvass the area - fairly and honestly - we all have to do it to further our businesses.

You don't need to know what the current w/c is charging, and it shouldn't influence your quote anyway.

If you're asked to quote then give the price you would want - if it's less than the current one you may get the work - if it's more and you still get the work then they don't like their current w/c.

Whichever way you've done absolutely nothing wrong.

"Poaching" requires an element of underhandedness.  Telling people their w/c has stopped coming, for example.  Telling them he's asked you to take over because he can't manage anymore, (both of these have happened to me, more than once, but I've always got my customers back when they realise they've been conned)

If you want work in the village - go and canvass it, and good luck!!

Cheers,

Ian

lucymulligan

Re: should i poach it ?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 08:10:30 pm »
wow got loads of good advice here .... thanks
got a full day tommorow .. couple of dodgy ones with porches but i nicked a few overshoes from the local swimming pool and if the ladies are ok i will do it from the inside  8)
just a little concerned about the angle that it will put me at .....anyway ..
bussiness doing really well ............ THE WORD IS OUT
better to risk my neck for myself than break my back for some one else !!