Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark f

wfp sash windows problem
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »
Have been having a problem with some sash windows where the top row of panes on the lower sash are drying up bad. I rinse slowly on a low rate but still having trouble.

I take it that it is water dripping or dirt under the sash seeing as rest of window is fine.

any suggestions?

Pj

Re: wfp sash windows problem
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:35:12 pm »
i'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but, turn up the flow and control the direction of the jets more carefully.

TERRY AB

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:01 pm »
I dont rinse at all!, I just make sure that I give the panes and Frames a really good scrub. It is sure to be dirt on the frames that you havent washed intensively enough. My windows come up great; I found in the past windows that were not up to standard, were ones I had cleaned to quickly. terry

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:47:59 pm »
A pound to a penny says you are wshing down dirt from between the sashes ;)

Sashes are a sod in this respect, particularly old ones :-\

Over the years these two edges, one from the bottom sash (the top edge) and the bottom one from the top pane pick up loads of muck, if they haven't been painted properly for some years (or opened, the sashes reversed and the edges then cleaned).
Everytime water splashes up into this gap you will drag down horrible smears :-\

Also, as this edge is not easy to putty, quite often the top edge of the glass is left exposed, yet again, over time dirt will accumulate on this top edge, and when you wash with WFP you will continually wash down this dirt.

First time, grit your teeth, aim your jets very carefully (you don't want water splashing up between the sashes) and wash & rinse that top edge as best you can.
You'll have to go back to it and do it again when the glass has dried a little on that top edge, but this time try not to wash the glass so that you also soak the top edge...

Takes a bit of practice, but you can usually get it right...but not always ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:46:37 pm »
Most sashes I don't have a problem with - but old ones where the 2 sections don't seem to quite meet level and look as though the window is not shut properly.  Then, as Ian says it's a job to get the muck out from under the gap and sure enough gunge runs down :'( :'(

The only job I can think of that causes me problems is my Accountants office :-[ :-[

Now the upstairs seem to be OK now.  Maybe because with the slightly upward angle on the brush whilst doing upstairs it has washed the muck out.  But one downstairs I have to goback an hour later and scrim of the marks >:( >:(

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

EasyClean

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27:56 pm »
I do lots of sash windows and never have any problems.
First initial wash, thoroughly clean out the dirt between the top and lower sashes with plenty of scrubbing up at an awkward angle to remove all the spiders webs, dead flies, dirt and whatever else is there.
After I have cleaned the top half of a sash window I use the top of the brush to wipe along the wet dirt that's run down underneath the bottom of the top frame. Then I thoroughly rinse the top of the bottom pane back and forth twice, then up and down the sides of the frame once only, scrub the glass once, then up to the top of the glass and zig zag down to the bottom of the glass and never wipe along the sill if it is a wooden frame. Sash windows are really quick to clean but have to be careful not to bash the frames if it's windy.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

mark f

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:45:12 pm »
thanks guys. It is the ones where the sash doesnt meet properly. but when i went up on ladder to inspect wasnt to dirty. i dont know !!

macmac

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 03:41:03 pm »
a rectangular brush with pencil jets will help you out with this problem.the new vikan rectangular are great for sash windows as the bristles splay out easily to get into the corners & right up into the top of the bottom sash. the marks you speak of are dirt that hasn't been washed out from under the top sash. i find the oval vikans rubbish for this type of job.

tony