Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pj

Is everyone a windowcleaner???
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:15:54 pm »
I live in a small village, can't be more than 500 houses, or so.

I headed for home lunchtime, fed up with the sleet, just in my village I passed no less than 4 windowcleaners! :o :o :o

There would have been 5, but I wasn't working in the sleet ;D

Is everyone a windowcleaner now? :-\

AuRavelling79

Re: Is everyone a windowcleaner???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:28:30 pm »
They're all catching up pj!
It's a game of three halves!

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:31:53 pm »
There does seem to be quite a few. Mind you with people going on about earning 25-30 pound an hour it should not really surprise you.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:34:06 pm »
I live in a small village, can't be more than 500 houses, or so.

I headed for home lunchtime, fed up with the sleet, just in my village I passed no less than 4 windowcleaners! :o :o :o

There would have been 5, but I wasn't working in the sleet ;D

Is everyone a windowcleaner now? :-\

I've not noticed any more around of late.  Some new faces appear, some old ones disappear.  Sometimes new ones disappear too if they decide they don't fancy it after all.  I have noticed a reduction in referrals in recent years but this is probably quite natural when I keep going back to the same places year on year with a bit of new work here and there.  Any referrals from most of my work would have happened years ago.  It's does not necessarily mean that there are more window cleaners.
Howver, when unemployment goes up, there are usually more around.  That's why I started in the early 90s.

simon knight

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:48 pm »
I can go weeks without seeing any other w/c's then suddenly you can't move for them. I think what happens where I live is that other w/c's canvass around, get a few jobs then come the day find that parking is a complete nightmare...and that's the last you see of them.

By the way, where is Antares?

Pj

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:47:49 pm »

By the way, where is Antares?

It is NNW of your solar system, roughly a trillion trillion light years away, give or take a billion ;D

simon knight

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:51:15 pm »

Ah, no wonder I couldn't find it on Streetmap.co.uk ;D

ronaldo

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:04:47 pm »
There does seem to be quite a few. Mind you with people going on about earning 25-30 pound an hour it should not really surprise you.

Couldnt agree wiyh you more ! what you earn should be kept to yourself and not broadcasted about, and like you said its no surprise to find there are more and more people coming into this trade when they realise how lucrative it can become for a tiny outlay to start with.
I,m always getting asked by customers and mates about earnings for cleaning windows and they all get the same answer, its crap and it pays the bills and i,m my own boss end of story.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Pj

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:10:30 pm »
here here! ;)

I have slogged at it for 20 years and I am still just paying the bills and that is it!
It's the whizz kids who boast. 

An old boss of mine used to call them "Flybynights" because the burst in on the scene acting all flash for a few short years and then they're gone, often messing things up for others.

seanmcshane

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:21 pm »
these whizz kids, as you call them, in all likliehood have an entrepeneurial attitude to business. If a project makes money quickly and easily giving an excellent return on their relatively tiny investment, then it is fair game.
Even as they begin their new domestic round, they will always be looking for ways to earn more and grow bigger but not necessarily in the same field of work.
They do not feel a lifelong loyalty to a customer base nor should they.
They may stay in window cleaning but expand into commercial work together with total facility cleaning eg: carpet cleaning and office cleaning.
They may see money in supplying WFP equipment or buying and renting out MEWP.
They will no longer need the domestic work which provided the cash flow to expand and so their areas are left open for others to move into.

There are millions of uncleaned windows in this country and no matter what people say about their earning power, it is still a boring, often lonely and when your hands are numb in the winter months, a downright difficult job to get motivated for sometimes.
So, the people who jump in expecting an easy ride are in for a shock and that is why I don`t worry about them. They will not last. I may not last and I have a great round which is well priced and gives me a great income but no-one will be giving out medals to me in 20 years because I stayed on a window cleaning round through 20 cold winters.

Look at Terry Burrows. He has had enough and is moving into carpet cleaning.
If something comes up which is better for me and my family, I`ll do it.
If not, I`ll stay where I am but not out of loyalty to a customer but because I need to bring money into the house for the upkeep of my family.

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:25:41 pm »
I have also seen an increase in window cleaners over the past few months, at first it used to worry me, but then the years go by, and I have seen them come and I have seen them go, The winter months usually polish them off, but they seem to think its easy money, but to do it correctly its a different ball game, were running a business and thats the hardest part of it.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 07:40:50 pm »
I've seen an estimate that there are 180,000 window cleaners in the UK. To adequatly cover the work 250,000 are required.

Of these 180,000 many are transitional (they only do it for six months or less), say 15%or 27,000. So at any one time we have 27,000 both leaving and joining. In a way this mirrors our own customer base.