Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Cheeky beggars.
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:02 pm »
Had an ex customer come to me today.[ his Mrs cancelled 6 months ago because she thought the £5 I charged for her 2 bed semi was extortionate]
This guy asked if I would like to earn an easy £10. "Doing what"I asked.
Would you like to go on my roof and replace a tile. He expected me to put the ladder up to the gutter, climb up the roof without a cat ladder, and replace a tile up near the ridge. I am surprised at how polite I was in declining his generous offer.
If he thinks £5 is too much for cleaning his windows, wait until he gets the roofers bill. Hard faced or what? Dai

dave0123

Re: Cheeky beggars.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:06:34 pm »
I had basicly the same today!!

There end ridge way off the gabel end and started talking to me and says if you can see any holes when on your ladder give me a nock would you and tell me it come down in the wind and smashed! SO basicly asking me to go up there and have a look and why am up there obv put one on for her ::) there wouldnt be no holes anyway as its only a ridge and its just lifted right at the end because of the wind, so i jus smiled and told her that and said  ;D you will just need a new one putting on there wont be any holes in your roof!!

Dave
Dave.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:18:27 pm »
Had an ex customer come to me today.[ his Mrs cancelled 6 months ago because she thought the £5 I charged for her 2 bed semi was extortionate]
This guy asked if I would like to earn an easy £10. "Doing what"I asked.
Would you like to go on my roof and replace a tile. He expected me to put the ladder up to the gutter, climb up the roof without a cat ladder, and replace a tile up near the ridge. I am surprised at how polite I was in declining his generous offer.
If he thinks £5 is too much for cleaning his windows, wait until he gets the roofers bill. Hard faced or what? Dai
I had a custtomer on friday, who had roofers in to put 3 new tiles  on, £200, i don't know how you kept your cool.
I had one customer dump me about 5yrs ago, 6 months later her husband came out and asked me to do there windows and offered me a £5 and not to tell his wife because he was supposed to do them. My answer give me £20 and I'll do them ;) I only used to charge them £8. but sadly he never took me up on my offer ;D ;D

KarlJones

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:59:07 pm »
Does anyone actually do minor roofing repairs as a sideline?  I bet you could make a mint doing it.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:24:15 am »
Does anyone actually do minor roofing repairs as a sideline?  I bet you could make a mint doing it.

I have replaced a few tiles for customers a couple of times.  Only on tiled rooves that were on top of the ground floor level though.  I have also replaced a few tiles that I broke myself in my bad old days of tile walking.

Richy L

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 12:15:01 pm »
we do mior roof repairs, but my father was a roofer for 20 years, so i get him todo them. You can make some really fast, good money doing roof repairs!

scrimit2

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:12:35 pm »
what a generous offer! ??? he wanted you to risk breaking your neck so he could save a few quid! ive heard a builder charge £40 for one tile at ladder height, why do they think they are doing us favours

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:46:23 pm »
He expected me to put the ladder up to the gutter, climb up the roof without a cat ladder, and replace a tile up near the ridge.

Dai,

You should have declined, but offered the services of your ladder to the 'Cheeky Monkey' so that you could watch him do it himself, say for 3 quid.

If he accepted, I'd've waited till he climbed on the roof then took my ladder away and argue that that that the charge was only for a one-way climb up them, and it was another 20 quid if he wanted to come down.

Would I honestly have done this?  If I thought about it at the time; yes; without a doubt.

I would've had a bit of fun with him. ;D