Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul mather

Ladders blew off van today!
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:21:43 pm »
Driving along this morning & a huge gust of wind caught my ladders & blew them off the van, luckily on to the grass verge & away from the road, so no damage done.

Anyone else have any mishaps due to the bad weather today.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

tatman

Re: Ladders blew off van today!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:24:06 pm »
no mate because most of us dont work in this weather :o Aint worth the risks.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:24:18 pm »
Paul what do you use to keep your ladders on your van?

I use the ladder clamps, they don't go anywere with them.

Glad no one was hurt, or the police wern't behind you.

paul mather

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 05:28:11 pm »
Bungee straps, never had a problem with them before, most annoying thing is I very rarely ladders since going WFP so could have taken them off this morning.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:33:26 pm »
You tight old bu***r you  ;D ;D ;D

Buy some clamps, must admit though I took my ladders of 2 weeks ago, when I changed to the dark side,  and I hope I don't have to  put them on that often.

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 05:45:08 pm »
Ladder Clamps are a must mate! Just incase the next time this happens they DO go into the road and cause some serious damage!

Shaun R. :)

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:54:33 pm »
Not bungee's, I knew a cleaner who lost an eye using them.

Buy some ladder clamps please.

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:01 pm »
I've always used bungees as I find it faster to get the ladder on and off with them.

Steve

KarlJones

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:40 pm »
Ask someone who is ex military and they will tell you their is two types of bungie.  One is a short fat type that is well made and expensive, very strong and reliable with a million uses.  The other is long thin and no more than a piece of elastic with hooks on the end (usually with a colouful design) that will take your eye out.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:59:22 pm »
Driving along this morning & a huge gust of wind caught my ladders & blew them off the van, luckily on to the grass verge & away from the road, so no damage done.

Anyone else have any mishaps due to the bad weather today.

I use the ladder clamps that others have mentioned as I don't need to remove the ladders much these days.  However, when I was removing the ladder a lot more often, I used straps with quick release buckles.  You can get them in Halfords.  You may also need something attached to the roof bars/rack to prevent sideways movement.  I used to use Thule roofbars and some triangle shaped pieces plus the above mentioned straps.  These days I have the clamps.  The roofbars have a couple of bracketsd where the previous owner had attached a pole holder.  This stops sideways movement.
Really it depends what arrangement you currently have so you can adapt it to your needs.

s.hughes

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:23:56 am »
to prevent sideway movement I put exaughst clamps on the roof bars. These are free from any tyre place and since I started using then every other w/c has caught on. These just bolt onto the bars and the ladder will never move.

Steve

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 08:29:51 am »
to prevent sideway movement I put exaughst clamps on the roof bars. These are free from any tyre place and since I started using then every other w/c has caught on. These just bolt onto the bars and the ladder will never move.

Steve
Any pictures Steve, I don't know what you mean? ;)

Shaun R.

KarlJones

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 10:36:07 am »
I should think he means...
http://www.bhushanexpo.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/clamps1.jpg

Actually if you could find a long U bolt and a couple of wing nuts to go with that clamp it would be a pretty good way to lock a rung to the bars anyway.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

s.hughes

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:48 pm »
Karls right their the ones. You can get them from halfords but you have to pay for them. Just ask for them when you have a tyre changed. Put them on with the bolts upright and they will hold the ladder solid.

Steve

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:37:19 pm »
Cheers Lads I know what you mean now!  :D

Shaun!

dai

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 04:44:57 pm »
I use bungy rope. You can by it at many builders merchants by the metre.
I don't use hooks on it, just tie loops in the ends and loop it over the roof bar.

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 11:40:42 am »
I use ladder clamps. but when i am going from job to job I use a small ratchet strap which you can get from the local market or I found mine in poundland. I also have some load stoppers bolted to my roof bars to stop sideways movement like these on ebay Item number: 130068004529

mike richardson

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 05:20:26 pm »
save the hassle buy an ex bt van with the roof rack on top its brill pull the ropes & the ladders are off easy as pie & they never move at all,you never have to climbup either

CWCS

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:07 pm »
Paul what do you use to keep your ladders on your van?

I use the ladder clamps, they don't go anywere with them.

Glad no one was hurt, or the police wern't behind you.
i use ladder clamps put them on tight trouble is wind lifted van 10ft off ground :o :o ;)