Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dick

HSE and ladders
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »
The boss of the HSE was interviewed on the Today programme at 7.30 this am, and stated that the HSE had never banned ladders. If you want you can listen to the interview by logging onto bbc.co.uk and follow the radio 4 link.
Have a listen and see what you think.
Dick

Sir Squeaky

Re: HSE and ladders
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:32:19 pm »
Nice one Dick.

You'd have to be a right dick to believe they had, or will. ;D

Dick

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
Keep it polite, did I say I believed it?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 06:56:25 pm »
Not at all, I'm just saying that's what some people think.

Dick

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:36:18 pm »
Ok, no offence then.

KarlJones

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 09:38:15 pm »
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

idealrob

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:12:35 pm »
I think the man is 2 faced, HSE rules dont ban ladders, he is right there, but he seems to blame everyone else for the legislation today. The basic rule for window cleaners is the HSE want as much wok done from the ground as much as possible, you can only use a ladder when you have considered all alternatives first. If you do use a ladder is must be secured at the bottom at all times and in some circumstances, eg getting onto a flat roof, must be secured at the top as well.Thw ladder must be upto British Standard and have identification for record keeping and an recomended load weight. How many window cleaners do this. Under 5%, probably.

robert t

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:20:24 pm »
I'm beyond being concerned about the HSE and ladders for window cleaning.

IMO - anyone who can clean windows without using ladders and continues to do so has rocks in their head. Especially with slippery decking, algae/moss covered patios etc.)

(It's like a chimney sweep sending his child up to clean a chimney because he can't see the benefit of using a brush/pole system. "Oooh you can't get all the soot out of all the cracks in the brickwork, it doesn't do such a good job... ... "::))

Any customer who puts their interpretation of how I do my job over my neck is an ex-customer!
It's a game of three halves!

Mr. S

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 11:21:35 pm »

IMO - anyone who can clean windows without using ladders and continues to do so has rocks in their head. Especially with slippery decking, algae/moss covered patios etc.)

And more and more people are having decking right outside the back of their houses instead of patios, pretty scary!

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:03:14 am »

(It's like a chimney sweep sending his child up to clean a chimney because he can't see the benefit of using a brush/pole system. "Oooh you can't get all the soot out of all the cracks in the brickwork, it doesn't do such a good job... ... "::))

Any customer who puts their interpretation of how I do my job over my neck is an ex-customer!
well said malc, wfp or not at all
my way or the highway
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk