Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

aztec

abseiling
« on: December 15, 2006, 04:51:53 pm »
I have been asked on numerous occasions if we do abseiling work and iwas wondering where you go for training and how involved it is and costs etc.

any advice would be welcome please chaps
 I live in Maidstone Kent by the way
AND MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

aztec

Re: abseiling
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:28:50 pm »
thanks for the info !!

D woods

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:32:14 pm »
OK

aztec

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 08:34:24 pm »
very funny hope all you get for christmas is crabs !!

D woods

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:38:54 pm »
Dont be shellfish

D woods

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 08:46:28 pm »
Hi Aztec
Go to www.irata.co.uk.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:19:06 pm »
Aztec I have asked similar questions on here as right now I do abseiling in the US and was wondering about doing it over there
There seems to be only one regular on here who does it ChrisA,he has been extremely helpful but he,s not on often so look him up and maybe send him an e-mail
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Chris A

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:09:29 am »
Hi Pat  ;)

Pat Purcell

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:35:04 pm »
Sorry Chris been talking about you again, the weather must be taking its toll on you over there, seems like every other day over here the wind is gusting into the 50mph range
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Chris A

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 04:07:44 pm »
Pat,
       We've had a rough couple of weeks but as you will know even on a 30 storey building you can sometimes find an elevation out of the wind, so we've had to  half finish loads of jobs if you know what I mean. Weather looks settled for next week so should hopefully finish them all in time for christmas.

Aztec,
         Feel free to e mail me about anything to do with rope access as I've been doing it since 1989 so should be able to answer any of your questions about training and certification etc, i'ts not just about going on a course and your'e off though, you need to adhere to loads of rules and regulations. Like I said feel free to e mail me and I'll try my best to help you out. Don't bother asking my advice about window cleaning though as we've only just started and I know %$£" all. :D

Chris

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »
Chris,

Would a level 1 IRATA qualification enable a self-employed window cleaner to go it 'alone', without the supervision of a Level 3 supervisor?

D woods

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »
Rope access workers  are not allowed to work on there own. They must always be part of a team.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 05:13:34 pm »
Rope access workers  are not allowed to work on there own. They must always be part of a team.

Can you define what you mean by 'team' and say what qualifications the 'team' needs?

I've looked at the IRATA website, but I can't find where it clearly states what qualfications allow you to do what, especially with regards to Level 1.

D woods

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 05:23:10 pm »
Hi Tosh
A team is a minimum of two people. They must be a trained to a minimum level
1 ( IRATA train to level 1 level 2 and level 3. 1 the lowest 3 the highest).

the reason they have to work in teams is in case one needs to be rescued.

Before any work is carried out a risk assessment needs to be provided. This
should be done by someone trained to level 3.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 05:31:04 pm »
D Woods,

Thank you for your reply.

I think this safely rules out any aspiration I may have had; though it was just a fleeting one; of being an abseiling window cleaner.

Given that you need one-thousand hours experience between levels 1 to 2 and 2 to 3; unless I worked for someone, that's not going to happen.

Cheers anyway.

D woods

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 05:34:02 pm »
Good decision, I think there is much easier money to be made using WFP.

Chris A

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 06:06:39 pm »
Tosh,
         Back to your original question, Under IRATA guidelines a level 1 cannot work without a level 3, but bear in mind that these are only guidelines (not law) The HSE state that you must have had formal training and adequate supervision to carry out rope access duties. I suppose having two level 1 rope access workers working together satisfies the british standard but not IRATA. I could go into a lot more detail about rescue procedures etc but if you look at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc612.pdf this will explain it better than me.

Chris

aztec

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 06:21:38 pm »
thanks chris you have e mail

Chris A

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 08:08:42 pm »
D Woods
            You really need to know what you're talking about before offering advice to some one else.

Chris