Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roy Harding

Re: Great piece of kit!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 05:40:29 pm »
Ian has a new van that is sign written, also uniform.

The customers dont look in the back to see whats in there.

Pure water is pure water and does the same job, also Ian has had years of experence.

Roy

P®oPole™

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:58 pm »
Hi Roy,

I know you and Ian have nice van etc, I wasnt using him as the example but at the end of the day on a big commercial tender the small guy goes in does hes demo and leaves to draw up his estimate then I go in.... get the picture I can sing and dance all day long if and when I want ;)

Also Roy years of experince cleaning glass means nothing, think about it how hard is it to clean glass, how does 25yrs over 3 or 5 years make him any better ??? ??? also I would like to add everyone is still fresh to wfp.

Look everyone I seriously dont want to agrue about who has what or whatever, just think about whats said!

ProPole

Roy Harding

Re: Great piece of kit!!! New
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 06:08:34 pm »
Propole

I agree I think image is important, the first 30 seconds people form a opinion of you. That is why back in 1986 I invested in uniforms for the six window cleanner's I had working for me, we stood out from the rest. Now other window cleanner's are doing the same.

When going for contract work I provied a portfolio of my bussiness as do others.

We all look for the edge over our rival window cleanners, and use every edge we have to get the contract.

I'm lucky I dont have to fight hard as I don't need the work and can pick and choose what I want, my way or the highway. I just passed a job to Ian for a few hundred a month.

I agree Ionic's are at the forfront of wfp, and are considering a new van and hot water system with vehicle wrap as a second van, next year. But there are other brands out there.

Roy

P®oPole™

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 06:18:25 pm »

Good reply Roy ;)

JM123

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 06:22:58 pm »
Propole - just out of curiosity, what Ionics system and poles do you have?
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Fast 1 *

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 06:25:35 pm »
you love it pro,dont ya son ;)
wildstyles

Ian_Giles

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 08:10:59 pm »
ProPole can believe what he likes, in business terms he's just a kid, (a very ambitious one I'll grant you ;))

Spending several thousand pound on a top of the range system doesn't make you look any more professional than the next guy, I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

The way you comport yourself and carry out your business does, and, for image a smart van, well signwritten will help you stand out while you are actually working.

What Roy does, by providing a portfolio, risk assessment, method statement and so on also makes a difference.
On some jobs the likes of Propole won't stand a chance of getting to put a price in for, these are the really big companies that require to see your books and are confidant in your ability to afford to do the work (ie, wait months for several thousand pounds at a time)

The equipment in the back of your van is meaningless, the boss of some multinational isn't going to come out and have a butchers at the back of your van, what the guy who pays you is interested in is how good a job you do.

If you've got the gift of the gab, what you use to clean the windows with is immaterial, to be honest, if you are a real go getter then you won't be turning up in a van at all, your staff will.
I'm content - or relatively so - in my lot, my image is now professional as is my work, I'm good at what I do.
At some point I may well employ again, but I'm not pushing for it.

ProPole is way off the mark if he thinks having a system worth thousands and thousands of pounds is going to impress would be customers.

I've no doubt he will continue on to be a very successful business man, but it will be his force of personality and his charisma (if he has any ;)) that really carries him through.
It won't be the equipment itself that gets him business, once you have your foor through the door you are dealing one on one with another person, and they'll have made their mind up about you in seconds (even if they don't know it)

By the time they see the kit in your van you will already have the job, it is YOU who will get the work, and it'll be YOU who persuades them that you are a man to do business with.
Then as time goes by and you continue to impress, it will be your own PERSONAL professionalism that will get you recommended for more work.
Your van, your equipment, your uniform and image may be important, but it is still perepheral.

It's YOU the INDIVIDUAL that makes the biggest difference.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

matt

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 08:42:39 pm »
when i price up comercail work, i allways arrive in the Golf and with a suit / smart shirt and trousers on

hand over my colour brochure showing some of my work and the WFP system, it also explains the H&S side of it

ive never been asked to do a demo, as my brochure promises CLEAN WINDOWS and my commercail client base speaks for itself

i price fairly high and get some nice well paid comercail jobs

then i arrive in my estate car and the cart, but they dont care what the system looks like, they just care about clean windows

i think high %  of this " a pro system gets more work" comes from the sales pitch when people are sold the system, YES ive heard the sales pitch, ive seen the demo from them, i was asked to come and give my opinion on a  system , the sales pitch was fairly OTT to be honest, saying they would get the "cream of the work" and leave the lower end of the market to the ladder boys

i also think when people pay the thousands of quid for systems, they have to jusitfy it in there minds, thus big themselves up, it helps them feel better

oh and for the idea of people being jealous, i wouldnt spend the money on a system, mine would be spent on a Disney vacation club package (its a disney timeshare typ of deal), a holiday in disney every year for the next 40 odd years