Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john tomkins

Window vents
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:15:01 pm »
I seem to have got quite a few residential jobs recently with the big type above the window vents, as these are 1st cleans I go over the whole window and frame first, then go round again cleaning just the glass so the problem of them dripping/spotting is virtually eliminated, 2nd cleans onwards obviously only do the complete window once so do you tend to give the vents a good scrub and hope they dont cause problems or try to avoid them completely, I'd rather clean them totally myself but read somewhere to leave em well alone, how do the experienced here get around it, clean or leave?

Re: Window vents
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:50:17 pm »
I would avoid vents if possible as they can be a pain in the butt

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:47:03 pm »

Hi,
I have taken the 'bull by the horns' and clean the vents with the rest of the window. A couple were a real problem initially, but now they are all OK and saves me messing around trying to avoid them.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:50:59 pm »

Hi,
I have taken the 'bull by the horns' and clean the vents with the rest of the window. A couple were a real problem initially, but now they are all OK and saves me messing around trying to avoid them.
Spruce

I have come accross vents that leak inside makes a lovely job of anything inside!! ::)

rugby

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:03:08 am »
i leave them well alone,i never clean top frame if it has a vent

john tomkins

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:31:08 pm »
2 - 1 in favour of leave them alone....anymore anymore :)

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 06:43:21 pm »
I clean  the vents on every clean. The trickle vents in the plastic windows i never have a problem cleaning, the flat vents in the wood windows i tend to just be careful with, as sometimes a little water gets inside. I always tell the customer they may have a few spots on the inside with these type of vents, they always except this!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 06:53:06 pm »
If set back off the main frame then clean.
If built into the actual glass frame leave.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 07:42:49 pm »
I always clean the lot. Sometimes you can see a bead of water running down the inside but this only happens on 1st clean when i scrub the frames and use loads of water.
So far no customers have ever complained but if they did I would just point out that it is just cos I wanted to give the frames a really good clean but if they were worried about any damage to the insides I would offer to leave the vents on future cleans.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

qwert

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 08:39:54 pm »
I was told that you should ask the customer to close the vents to avoid water getting in.  Is this right and does anyone do this???