Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

russ_clark

Pole advice please
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:05:21 am »
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice as to which pole/s they recommend and why.
I aim to have my first wfp set up within 3-4 weeks and have sorted most things except poles.
I am 99% domestic but there are lots of three storey places I feel I could get if I had a long enough pole to do the job.
I have also quoted on a commercial job which is approx 40 ft.
I will be running a two man set up so the intention is one to do ground floor with some sort of mini-pole and the other tops.
I have no idea wether I need goosenecks? sill brushes? or what type
thanks
Russ :)

Re: Pole advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 08:02:30 pm »
Have a look at the Unger Pole; phone Cleantech and ask them about them.

They're light, come in sections, so you only need to use the sections required to reach the height you want, robust and will last for years.

The locking cones take a little bit of getting used to, but I think they're great.  Better than my old Ionics fibre glass pole.

datec66

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:59:02 pm »
Tosh, just ordered by backpack from USA. Looked at the cheap alu poles from cleantech but only 18ft :'(.  So, as you use this system, which unger pole have you got, ie 5 2m section etc, what have you got at end for the brush, ie zinc cranked joint & which brush do u use ie salmon, 11 inch oval vikan etc.  Also, where did u get the ionics hose u use outside this pole?

cheers mate

Carl

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 04:07:02 pm »
Omnipole do a power pole , you can take sections out and use it as a smaller pole

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 04:10:48 pm »
Carl,

I don't think I'm going to be much help here, but I'll try.

I've got the five section Unger aluminium pole; Cleantech definately sell them.  When (if) you purchase make sure you order some spare collars (cleantech will know what you mean) since they wear out every four to six months.  The collars are just a few pennies.

I use a ten-inch Ionics residential brush and hose; but I bought these second hand from a local window cleaner who gave up his round.  I suggest you find a phone number for Ionics and give them a tinkle; but to be honest; I suspect Ionics don't really want to know unless you're going to spend lots of cash, but it's worth a try.

However, getting the Ionics pole-hose, in my humble opinion, IS REALLY IMPORTANT, since you can easily conserve water by just nipping the hose to stop the flow.  Since the pole hose is outside of the pole, you can just grab a handy length and hey presto; the water shuts off.

Other pole hose may not be as effective.

Oh; make sure you get an adjustable goose-neck too.  I recently helped a local window cleaner get set up with a backpack system and he ended up with a fixed goose-neck and I don't think it's much cop; although I haven't used one.

I've also heard that the cheap Cleantech pole is really good and since I hope to go van-mounted shortly, I may purchase a couple of them.

I hope I've been some help.

cybersye

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:34:31 pm »
I've been using a 5 section unger pole also for tall 3 floors up to 40 ft and to be honest I find it way too flexy. I've just bought a 38 ft exel pole from gardiners and done the same property and although heavier work I find it much more manageable ( plus I'll end up with arms like popeyes by next summer, no bad thing! ;D) also gardiners alu gooseneck reaches over deep sills at height where you may not be able to see the bottom of the window which is an advantage. I still think the unger is very versatile, I use it as a 3 section now with hose outside and if I'm doing ground floors its easy just to pull out and use no 1 section.
Personally I'd steer clear of ionics brushes, I werent impressed at all, they mis shapen and wear out quickly, but then I made my own from a cheap broom from B&Q about £3 just screw it onto cranked angle joint and drill holes for jets, you can get all the bits you need from cleantech. But back to the main point in question at 40 ft I'd get a fiberglass pole, less flexy easier to manage but definately heavier. If I had the money I'd go carbon fiber but I dont  :'(
Hope this helps carl anyway.
Simon

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 04:36:42 pm »
sorry that last post was meant for russ, not carl ;)