Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

billozz

risk assessment
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:41:17 pm »
are we supposed to do a risk assessment on all commercial jobs that we clean, what are they actually for are we supposed to show them to someone or keep them for any lenght of time or do we only need them in case of an incident
thanks guys
Bill

incidentally i am not receiving e'mail notiofication of posts to my threads anyone know why, i've always recd them until recently
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

Robert Parry

Re: risk assessment
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:17:48 pm »
Risk assessments, part of the Health & Safety regs, are required by law, does not matter if the client is commercial or domestic, these need to be in writing if you employ 5 or more people, but it is considered good practice to have them written down regardless.

It is not enough just to have the written word as it were, you must also show that all staff adhere to the companies rules in these matters, this can take a number of forms, but the simplest is probably regular training, making sure that this is documented, then getting the staff to sign a document stating that they have recieved said training and have understood that training etc. These procedures also have to be regulary monitored, again in writing as the MD or owner carries full responsibilty in these matters under present legislation, hope this helps, regards.

Rob
A world of difference....

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:57:45 am »
So...am I right in saying that if you are the only one window cleaning, or staying under 5 people, that you don't need one?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:01:58 am »
So...am I right in saying that if you are the only one window cleaning, or staying under 5 people, that you don't need one?
As I understand it, you don't legally need a written one.  You should still do one anyway in your head.  I think this comes naturally anyway for most people such as looking for overhead electrical cables and noting or clearing objects that may be where we need to stand in order to work.

Robert Parry

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:13:44 am »
Shiner is correct, however, the insurance game being what it is, they will of course try to limit any payment whenever they can. Written down and documented is always the way to go, commercial shouldnt really touch you with a barge pole without all legally required documentation, yes i know some (most) dont even ask you!
But that really is beside the point, the reality is it adds to your percieved professionalism, plus you protect yourself and others as far as possible, which, when working at height or indeed using a pole can only be a good thing, this also increases your chances of being paid if you need to make a claim or indeed protecting yourself and your company against being sued for negligence etc, regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

Jake

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:35 pm »
Lets clear one thing up, you are legally obliged to provide a 'Health & Safety Policy' if you employ 5 or more staff.

Risk Assessments/Method Statements are seperate documents you need to provide for carrying out any work practice.

It would be ok to carry in your van, a generic Risk Assessment/Method Statement that applied to window cleaning. You never know if you will be asked by a Health & Safety officer to show one, slim chance maybe, but a chance nonetheless.

Regards..............Jake
Exeter, Devon

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 07:08:28 pm »
Okay, in another thread it was said, that even residential WC's should provide one to their customers (see here) : http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16670.0

What's that about then?

Jake

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:24:06 pm »
GQC

That thread was posted back in February, and having attended a couple of Health & Safety seminers recently, I would say that there is a more realistic approach to WAHD by most companies.

I suppose a customer could ask a w/c for a risk assessment, highly unlikely, but all w/cs  should carry some in the van anyway.

Regards......Jake
Exeter, Devon

seanmcshane

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:33:01 pm »
Jake...not right mate.

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg163.pdf

look at section 4.

A risk assessment does NOT have to be written down if you have less than 5 employees.
The sole trader or employer with less than 5 employees still has to carry out a risk assessment physically on the site and take actions to minimise any risks detected.
As long as he can show, if asked, that he has identified these risks and taken necessary  precautions, he is under no legal obligation to present his assessment in written form.
A method statement is a requirement which is at the discretion of the person requesting the work...usually a definite in local authority work.
This merely defines how you intend to carry out the work requested.

A generic risk assessment for the obvious risks associated with window cleaning both commercial and domestic - trad and WFP - can be drafted, laminated and left in your van.
This will cover all the basic risks and steps we should automatically be taking on site.
It can serve as an aide memoire for the window cleaner just to refresh the memory about safe practice and can also be amended accordingly- (if saved on computer and re-printed )- to account for any additional risks and measures you may come across at a particular site.

Jake

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 07:51:56 pm »
Sean

Having just read section 4, I stand corrected !

Having been asked for Risk Assessments, by several companies lately, I have obviously thought that it was a legal requirement.

Filing in questioniarres for these companies, it is often mentioned that a Health & Safety policy IS required, unless you have less than 5 employees. Risk Assessments have been insisted on!

As you point out, in some cases it seems they are not legally required.

When asked, I will always provide them, got to get on their Approved Contractors list ! ;)

Regards................Jake
Exeter, Devon

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 08:26:04 pm »
Thank you very much for this guys! I really appreciate it, and cleared up some stuff.