Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gwrightson

wood floor cleaning
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:53:24 pm »
As a c/c I have been asked to clean some carpets in a village hall, no problem :)  , they have also asked me to quote for the cleaning and polishing of a wooden floor area, ie dance floor. not seen it yet , but as far as i gather quite a large area,
here are my questions if you can possibly help

what would you use to actually clean the wood area, and what would you use to put on a finish?
and finaly what sort of price per sq mtre can be asked?

They do not require and sanding etc, a good clean and polish is what i shall be quoting for.

thanks for any helpful replies

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

gerrystyles

Re: wood floor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:45:06 pm »
I did a village hall last year, wood floor, sealed. I would suggest a thorough mopping and a spray clean with Premier Products Clean and Buff. If the seal is sound you may not need to polish as clean and buff will enhance the finish. You want to avoid polish if you can, otherwise Premier Platinum 25 worked well for me.

Suggest you qoute around £4.00 per square metre as a lot of work involved

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:24:55 pm »
thanks Gery for reply

where will I get premier platingham 25

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Art

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 04:43:37 pm »
There you go Mr Wrightson  ;D

www.premiereproducts.co.uk

Arthur

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:36 pm »
tk/you kind sir ;)

why couldnt I find it? ;)

geoff

gwrightson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:53:40 pm »
one more question  :)

been and priced the job, I am told "verbaly "  that i have the job :) but they now require a price for the maintanence of the wood floor,  once a month, a good clean etc.
what would the rate for this be?

Geoff

Art

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:29:02 pm »
Wait until you've done it the first time then base it on an hourly rate of between £15-£20 per hour.
OR
If you can't do it the way i've suggested above, take £1 off the square meter charge you've quoted  for the first clean.

Arthur

ColinD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:29:27 pm »
I could comment, but I will not!

Nils illegitimi carborundum

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 05:34:13 pm »
I could comment, but I will not!

Go on! enlighten them?  ;D

ColinD

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:59:58 pm »
OK Rob!

Firstly, define type of floor.  straight laid planking - i.e floorboards, woodblock, marquetry, and there's more. Hard wood - soft wood, and there's more...

Laid to what? Sub-floor, if there is one. i.e does it sit on a concrete base, or is there a void underneath. This will affect drying times and the ability to use or not use various amounts of water/stripper/nuetraliser/et al.

What's been put on the surface originally. A water based sealant, a resin sealant, oleo-resin, wax.  Has it been recently buffed witha hi-speed buffer using emulsion based floor maintainer. How much coca-cola has been spilt on the floor. Look for the stains.

Are you stripping back to original surface, if you can! If so what are you going to use to strip back, if you don't know what you are removing. What will you then use as a base/sealing coat. Will you laminate as you apply subsequent coats. If so, how many coats will you apply. Drying time between subsequent coats. Stripping back, will you neutralise between stripping and sealing.

That's just for starters.

Can I stop now Rob?  PLEASE!

The Old Fart.

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:07:07 pm »
hi, whenever I do wooden floors I use a black pad on a rotary without any chemical to remove deep scrathes and to give yourself an even surface to work on.

then vac or sweep the floor if you rotary hasn`t got a built in vac, then mop the floor once with a cleaning solution and then again with just clean water,

apply two or three thin coats of polish (evans mexapol or evan emulssion high gloss floor polish) use a kentucky mop that has been washed in a washing machine first to remove all the fluff that otherwise sticks to the floor.

then buff using a beige pad on an ultra high speed rotary
untill you get the depth of shine you want.

for the reg maintenance i would mop with floor maintainer leave it to dry and the floor goes dull, then buff with your beige pad and a ultra high speed rotary to bring back the original shine, when ever it starts to look a bit marked scrub with a red or green pad and stick another coat of polish over it. :D

ColinD

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 06:23:04 pm »
Question:

What is ridging and rafting on certain timbered floors?

Art

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 09:51:20 pm »
one more question  :)

been and priced the job, I am told "verbaly "  that i have the job :) but they now require a price for the maintanence of the wood floor,  once a month, a good clean etc.
what would the rate for this be?

Geoff

Even though all of the above posts are good points, why make things complicated, Geoff asked opinions on price

Arthur

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:18:23 pm »
OK Rob!

Firstly, define type of floor.  straight laid planking - i.e floorboards, woodblock, marquetry, and there's more. Hard wood - soft wood, and there's more...

Laid to what? Sub-floor, if there is one. i.e does it sit on a concrete base, or is there a void underneath. This will affect drying times and the ability to use or not use various amounts of water/stripper/nuetraliser/et al.

What's been put on the surface originally. A water based sealant, a resin sealant, oleo-resin, wax.  Has it been recently buffed witha hi-speed buffer using emulsion based floor maintainer. How much coca-cola has been spilt on the floor. Look for the stains.

Are you stripping back to original surface, if you can! If so what are you going to use to strip back, if you don't know what you are removing. What will you then use as a base/sealing coat. Will you laminate as you apply subsequent coats. If so, how many coats will you apply. Drying time between subsequent coats. Stripping back, will you neutralise between stripping and sealing.

That's just for starters.

Can I stop now Rob?  PLEASE!

The Old Fart.

Very good comments Colin but why post  your "i could comment but i will not!" comment in the 1st place? Most of us come here to have a friendly chat and to learn from each other! We do not come here to ridicule each other,unless it is in jest! Unfortunately i believe you feel you are a cut above and quite honestly i wonder as to your motives!?

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 10:17:46 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 10:21:10 pm »
I would quote around £2.50 per meter for the maintenance,