Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

domestic bliss

Copycat company names
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:09:31 pm »
After starting my business 3 years ago.  I have discovered there is a company that has the same name as my company but in a different county.  Can i do anything about it or maybe they might have problems with me?  I am a very small business so i cannot go ltd.   Advice please.  Would you do anything about it ?
Thanks in advance!

DP

Re: Copycat company names New
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:26:19 pm »
Nope not a thing.
My last Limited company name was copied all over the internet to the point that we even started getting phone calls for them. They were a major International company that started to include the word (UK) in their name to express their uk branch which then exactly matched our name.

We threatened them with legal action and even lodged a complaint with Companies House supported with enough evidence to sink a battle ship.

The company themselves told us to go for it and Companies House were simply not interested based on the fact that it was not their registered name, they were not in the same business, and we couldn’t prove loss of trade.

We found a number of none Ltd companies also copying our name , but the same rules apply, unless they are conducting the same business and you can prove loss of trade, any action would have proven expensive.

Unless you are a large corporate like Coca Cola etc or simply like loosing money its not worth a second thought, The fact that they are in a different county would prove little threat anyway I would have thought. I believe you can still register none ltd companies, but very few do as it offers zero benefit. I’m afraid you can only own a name providing you have enough money to protect it!
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

domestic bliss

Re: Copycat company names
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:12:19 pm »
Thanks DP

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:22:38 pm »
There is a domestic bliss in my area also and they have been going years.

Do a google search and you will find loads of businesses called domestic bliss.

As long as they are not in your area why worry.

Paul

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:44:13 pm »
atleast yoy can look bigger than you are, people will think your a national company ;D ;D ;D