Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

julia

+++++ BUILD CLEAN WINDOW FRAMES ++++
« on: October 04, 2006, 08:51:07 pm »
Hi Anyone

I have had a build clean contract now for 9 months and find the cleaning of the upvc window frames inside such a struggle.  Can anyone out there please help me out by offering some solutions to the following:
1.  How can I remove sticky stuff off the glass - I currently use WD40 which works but this also effect my skin, also leaves smears over the glass.

2.  How can I remove plaster and paint off of the upvc frames without scratching them.  I currently spray them with kitchen cleaner and use a sponge with a scourer on the back but this takes forever.

3.  I have done a three bedroom house with 8 windows today and the windows took 2 1/2 hours and is not cost effective.

ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.

Many thanks

Julia

MNWC

Re: +++++ BUILD CLEAN WINDOW FRAMES ++++
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:40:26 pm »
Hi Julia

Beleive it or not nail varnish remover or white spirit will take all marks off upvc frames and windows. ;)

julia

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:06 pm »
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try.

The windows I have seem to have quite a lot of dried plaster on them will white spirit work on that??

Thanks

Julia

keith b

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:39:06 pm »
Julia,

Please let us know how you get on with white spirit, as im having the same problem with dried-on masonary paint on my upvc window frames!

thanks

keith

gav

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:43:14 pm »
I find a scourer is the best to get the most of it off but any stubborn stains use "Ever Build"  UPVC Solvent Cleaner is great, never let me down yet but use gloves. For glass use an Unger scraper.

MNWC

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:32:44 pm »
Dried plaster will come off with just damp micro fibre cloth. And a finger in between cloth and window.

Dried morter is a different story.......

Make sure the area to be cleaned is wet with water and fairy, this is important. Scrape gently with a sharp scraper and you will get no scratches on the glass.

As for masonry/Gloss paint on the frames use a little thinners, just a little mind.As it could discolur the frames.

Hope this helps.

Marcus

craig b

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:24:37 pm »
when your cleaning  the frames use a sturdy wall paper scraper doesnt dig into them .also dont no if you have had problem with motar and plaster behind the hinges on patio doors.(i have! !) i used  old knife curled the end of it works brilliantly

julia

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 11:40:03 pm »
Hi
Sorry haven't been around for a while, but will give your suggestions a go and let you know.
Thanks to you all
Julia

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 11:44:59 pm »
Hi i have just finished a bulders and sparkle clean and have done loats of them

to remove stickers and the old patch use this works fast easy to remove in under 2 seconds http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=184&SectionID=26

As for cement the only real quick way without any hassle is to use a diluted brick acid.this will get cement off without the use of a scrapper but you need to dilute it.Use gloves at all times and even use goggles to be on safe side

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:38:06 am »
For the stickers use Clovers Solvent degreaser. Its about 12+vat for 5 litres and water soluble. For the frames I use metal scraper, Firstly I try hitting the lump of mortar to avoid scraping then spray diluted GG4 and clean with a non scratch scouring pad.

2.5 hours doesnt sound bad at all, I get the impression you maybe arent charging accordingly

Cheers
Neil