Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Hugh Janus

Time to call the doctor?
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
hi guys 

have been using a solvent based carpet protector from alltec which i normally wear a respirator whilst applying then leave to ventilate for at least 20 mins before returning to that room/area.

however after completion of nearly a full home clean i discovered that i had left my respirator at home so rather than drive 40 miles back home to pick it up i decided to just apply the protector without it.

everything went well, allowed ventilation time etc, custy happy, me on my way home and after about 30mins i started to experience chest pains and even now 24hrs later have a general tightness in my chest.

So i'm now wondering if i have caused any damage to my lungs and if so is this permanent??

does anyone have any experience of this type of thing? 

Mark Roberts

Re: Time to call the doctor?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 07:00:49 pm »
Ive used that protector and yes you were lucky. If I remember rightly solvents can cause 'wet lung' which can be fatal (bet that makes you feel better). You prob lost a fair amount of the ole brain cells as well  ;)

It might be worth taking the msd with you and getting yourself checked if the symtoms carry on.

Mark

Hugh Janus

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:03:12 pm »
cheers mark, thought i was worrying about nothing.

it does seem to be improving though so think i'll wait til mon and if tightness is still there go and get myself checked out.

Mark Roberts

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:09:29 pm »
I'm no Doctor so if you don't wake up tomorrow don't blame me  ;)

Hugh Janus

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:11:24 pm »
no i wont m8 ;D

just wondered if anyone had any similar experience or knowledge related to applying solvents?

other than the fact that i'm a silly boy and shouldnt have done it in the first place :-[

*paul_moss

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:46:11 pm »
Hugh
Did the same thing once myself and it scared the poop out of me.
Lasted about 3 days but then wore off.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:05:45 pm »
Don't wait until Monday,think of your family and go get yourself checked m8.
John

*paul_moss

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 08:09:28 pm »
John if worst comes to the worst, what cleaning kit do you have to sell ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Dave_Lee

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 08:18:21 pm »
Im still here and suffered solvent inhalation problems quite often whilst hand sovent cleaning suites, over 20 years ago. It was after my last one that I decided not to solvent clean again. The room only had a tiny top window, offering hardly any ventilation at all. By the time I got to the last chair my head was spinning and I had to run for it when suddenly my tongue started to repidly vibrate. I grabbed a few lung fulls of fresh air, and dashed back in for a final finish off. I told the custy not to allow any naked flames in that room for at least 24 hours.
I have also had similar symptoms as described when applying solvent protector without a respirator, but it does wear off without any permanent efffffffffeeeeccccttttts.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Hugh Janus

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 09:51:41 pm »
lol  ;D ;D
glad to see i'm not the only one

hopefully by mon morn all is well and i can put it down as a lesson learnt never to be repeated

calmore

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:25:09 pm »
If you are at all concerned phone NHS direct for advice: 0845 4647

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Chris_Thomas

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 01:31:03 pm »
Several years ago the sales manager at Stimvak told me he had suffered a stroke the evening after demonstrating a solvent machine without his respirator. May have been a coincidence.

Let's be careful out there.

Chris

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 08:58:07 pm »
no i wont m8 ;D

just wondered if anyone had any similar experience or knowledge related to applying solvents?

other than the fact that i'm a silly boy and shouldnt have done it in the first place :-[

Yes I did that but circumstances were that tight millionaire boss wouldn`t supply respirators or any other h & s equipment ( I no longer work for him, went self employed and took a load of hios clients ha ha )
It lasted  3 days or so. He had me apply it in A SOLICITIORS OFFICE whilst they were all there at their desks. Needless to say they were all off for a week and their business ground to a halt. I`m not sure how that was dealt with but he said it was all my fault. BE CAREFUL WITH SOLVENTS

Hugh Janus

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:29:51 am »
cheers guys,

mon morn all is well.   ;D ;D ;D

wont be doin that again in a hurry. 8)

think i'm gonna change the protector i'm using, can anyone recommend a decent non-solvent product?

ps. i'm not really into double applications ;)

PaulKing

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 08:38:36 am »
Sorry Hugh I have to ask is your name real, just I can rember Bart Simpson ring Moes Tavern and asking for you.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Hugh Janus

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 09:05:51 am »
no its not m8, almost wish it was though think it'd be gr8 for my marketing.

i'm james ;D

Dennis

Re: Time to call the doctor? New
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 03:41:46 pm »

i'm james ;D

I thought the name on creaningplos was fake too!  ;D

rambly

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 04:32:31 pm »
I inhaled some due to a poor fittng mask and was worried about tightness in the chest for a couple of days, but it wore off with (touch wood) no side effects.

Now I make sure the mask is a good fit and change the filter cartridge after about 10 applications as apparently the product builds up and then disolves when a fresh mix is drawn in. This might be overkill but its cheaper than a funeral.
Remember the 8th commandment:
Thou shalt not steal - Gordon Brown hates competition.