Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mark M

Low prices?
« on: August 03, 2006, 08:30:54 pm »
Recently picked up some flats, about 15 of them all in the same street one up, one down type. 2 large windows at the back and 3 at the front, patio doors on bottom flats
Price I charged was £6 for top floor and £5 for down floor. Customers were all happy with the price, though they told me the last window cleaner who did them hadn't upped his prices in the 15 years he had done them, he was charging £1.50 for tops and £1.25 for bottoms up until a few months ago in quite a well of part of Hertfordshire

I also know he was charging just £7 for a large 4 bedroom detached house which is almost an hours work, all leaded windows. My point is do you think this kind of pricing is bad for our profession?
Some customers seem to think now that we should be able to work at those prices

Mark

neil100

Re: Low prices?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:49:26 pm »
Yes and Yes again.

Come to think of it. Yes!!!!!! (sorry Nel, to much yes had split the page layout !  ;D )

nEL

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:54:33 pm »
Well yes, of course it's no help to us.

But it's up to him what he charges.
What are you going to do? Go up to him and say "Could you put your prices through the roof, so I can do the same?"

He's his own boss, and as such can charge what he wants.

P®oPole™

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:59:32 pm »
Hi mark,

This is madness, in Hertfordshire this should be alot more, I get it all the time (most big houses 4beds) "my old window cleaner only charged £6" £1.25 takes the mick, your £6 for flats sounds about right.
bet it took a little work to get them to pay the new prices.

Out of intrested mark were abouts in Hertfordshire, north, south? your dsm then mate, I've seen your vans, are they all black?

Regards
Alex
ProPole

Mark M

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:08:47 pm »
Hi Alex

Live in south herts, St Albans area.
They were all more than happy to pay more, even they realised he was too low apparently told him so as well.
As for just charging £6, when they they only paid £1.50 before hard to go any higher, but it is compact work about £15-20 per hour for that area.

The black vansthough  are nothing to do with me I'm afraid

Cheers
mark

P®oPole™

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »
Hi mark,

Didnt mean that about your £6 flats that what i get for little flats, I meant 4beds etc sorry for confusion.

See you guys working Turnford College a few weeks back,
One of my customers said he done a couple of days over there with you, "fourth floor on a ladder" :o :o :o, tell me this aint true mate.

As for the vans matey they look smart, I quite like the look of them.

do you work alot around Turnford?

Regards
Alex

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:39:21 am »
If he hasn't upped his prices in 15 years then I am 12ft tall !!!

So lets really think about it, how much as inflation affected the cost of living over that time? Petrol 56p per litre now £1 !

If I am told this when I quote I just smile, politely ask why she or he thinks their window cleaner has stopped coming?

I then explain about what service I offer and about the company, explain my cost and if they want it they take me up and if they don't then I walk. I will NEVER work to ransom on somebody else's poor pricing. The only mug then is yourself!

Trev

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Archy136

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:46 am »
Picked up a job the other day for £12. The old window cleaner (South coast window cleaners) charged £8. But the lady said she always knew when they had been because the windows were dirty! Also everytime a different bloke came.

The point is you get what you pay for

dai

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:31:47 pm »
Well yes, of course it's no help to us.

But it's up to him what he charges.
What are you going to do? Go up to him and say "Could you put your prices through the roof, so I can do the same?"

He's his own boss, and as such can charge what he wants.

I agree with Squeaks on this one. It's not true that all low price cleaners do a bad job either. Theres one old bloke that comes to an estate where I do most of the houses. He only does one house, takes twice as long as I do and charges £4.
Can't fault his work though. Pains frames the lot. It's his business to run as he sees fit. Dai

neil100

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 11:07:18 pm »
I picked up three new customers this week. Two of them are £21.00 and the other £20.00. IT took me just under one and half hours to clean all three, thats despite a really cheap w/cleaner also cleaning in the street.

Nel.