Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

New van, to buy or not to buy
« on: December 17, 2023, 08:57:45 pm »
So I put a deposit on a new Custom Sport Auto  last week,  It’s due in some time next week. I’m now having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling under the 14 day cooling off period rule. I currently have a 2019 Custom Sport Auto and it’s only done 16 500miles, the depreciation has been minimal, maybe £6000 in 4 and a half years. I think the new van will lose close on that as soon as I drive it away from the dealership! Then the insurance is going to be £200 more than my present van. There is also the hassle of removing the tank and cage etc out and fitting to new van ( It gets bolted in so diesel tank needs dropped ) I know, that should be enough reasons  to talk myself out of it, but then I think of the tax relief and all of a sudden the deal is back on!…I think the sensible thing to do is walk away from the deal? Thoughts?

Shrek

Re: New van, to buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 09:15:40 pm »
I do similar mileage to you , my 2020 custom has 13k on the clock and I’m just going to buy it at the end of the lease , iv looked after it , fully serviced when it needs it , new tyres etc . The tax relief is nice but I’m going to keep it for a good few years yet … no point spending money for the sake of it , however I know it’s different tax rates in Scotland so not sure how much of a difference it’d make for you. The only annoying thing I don’t like about my van is the door chimes! Every time I open the drivers door it has a constant beeping noise that I can’t switch off but apart from that it’s perfect for me 👌

zesty

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 09:32:56 pm »
Got very close to getting a newer custom, but I’ve decided against it.

I’ve got 63 plate custom limited, on 130,000 miles and still runs like a dream. Paid off years ago.

I just don’t see the point in spending ££££ on a newer custom. Other than the updated interior, I’m not going to gain anything other than less money in the bank.

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 10:37:44 pm »
I bought a new one last year. Part of me regrets it when i think of the monthly finance cost and the depreciation. 

On the other hand what's normally a 5k tax bill is only 600 quid this year.

That said I'm not sure I could justify 45k on  a van that's crazy money.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 11:12:46 pm »
Can’t you run 2 vans?

It might be a good time to think about employing?

Then your new van will pay for itself many times over.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 11:20:37 pm »
Can’t you run 2 vans?

It might be a good time to think about employing?

Then your new van will pay for itself many times over.
I used to have 3 employees and ran 2 vans. I’ve been on my own for about 4 years now and plan on staying that way.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 11:25:51 pm »
I bought a new one last year. Part of me regrets it when i think of the monthly finance cost and the depreciation. 

Remember and put money aside for your tax bill the following year as it will be a big one.
I agree the price is steep, the van is 50% more expensive than the one I bought in 2019.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 11:27:30 pm »
So I put a deposit on a new Custom Sport Auto  last week,  It’s due in some time next week. I’m now having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling under the 14 day cooling off period rule. I currently have a 2019 Custom Sport Auto and it’s only done 16 500miles, the depreciation has been minimal, maybe £6000 in 4 and a half years. I think the new van will lose close on that as soon as I drive it away from the dealership! Then the insurance is going to be £200 more than my present van. There is also the hassle of removing the tank and cage etc out and fitting to new van ( It gets bolted in so diesel tank needs dropped ) I know, that should be enough reasons  to talk myself out of it, but then I think of the tax relief and all of a sudden the deal is back on!…I think the sensible thing to do is walk away from the deal? Thoughts?

You would be crazy to get rid of that van! A 2019 with 16k, owned and looked after by yourself. Dude, you're giving away gold dust!!!! I bet the dealer couldn't believe his luck when you walked out the door!🤣
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 11:15:14 am »

Remember and put money aside for your tax bill the following year as it will be a big one.
I agree the price is steep, the van is 50% more expensive than the one I bought in 2019.

Next years tax bill won't be any bigger than usual. It just means rather than reducing my tax by a bit for the next few years I've reduced it by a lot all at once. It won't add anything to subsequent tax bills unless I sell it.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 03:07:59 pm »
Still undecided, I have done some figures, can anyone put another spin or pick holes in my figures?
There will be a tax saving of around £6500 if I buy the van.
Depreciation on new van over 4 years will be approx £18000, so in effect over 4 years van will cost me £11500.
Depreciation on current van over 4 years will be approx £7000.
New van will cost an extra £4500 over 4 years?
Edit to add: The new van will still be depreciating after year 4, whilst my current van’s depreciation will almost have stalled after year 8?

dd

Re: New van, to buy or not to buy New
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 04:46:55 pm »
If you pay into a private pension an alternate way to benefit from saving on tax would be to pay more into your pension (tax bill is not reduced for basic rate tax - unless you pay higher rate tax -  but the government instead adds it to your pension contribution).

Personally I have had my 18 year old van from new, never really bothered about spending money just to reduce a tax bill, but we do all look at things from different perspectives.